LoJack hit near Thornton this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSK

It appears from the MNN website there was a LoJack signal this morning near Thornton.

LoJack Alert
LoJack Update

Once activated a LoJack equipped stolen vehicle transponder (hidden inside a vehicle) begins to transmit its unique tracking signal (referred to as a reply code) on a frequency of 173.075 MHz around three or four times per minute. Once the police begin to track the stolen vehicle the tracking signal is sped up so that it is transmitted from the stolen vehicle every few seconds. The LoJack towers are also on the same frequency (173.075 MHz) however they only broadcast once every 64 seconds.

An ongoing project to decode LoJack signals is located at the following forum:
How to decode LoJack

Currently, the LoJack decoder is capable of displaying activations, deactivations and the reply codes used to track specific vehicles.

If anyone captured an audio recording of the stolen vehicle tracking signals that were being transmitted this morning near Thornton, I would be interested in analyzing them.

With regards to the stolen vehicle equipped with LoJack recovered this morning, it appears the first "activation" request was issued at 6:13 AM. The first "deactivation" request appears to have been sent by the towers at 9:41 AM (some time after the actual recovery). I was located too far from the event to capture an audio recording of the vehicle tracking signals/reply codes that were being transmitted from the stolen vehicle this morning.

Code:
20150115	61302	PASSED	FUNCTION: 2-ACTIVATION 	ADDRESS [74C1BF2]	VRC [2E] LRC [E1] CRC [7310]
20150115	61406	PASSED	FUNCTION: 2-ACTIVATION 	ADDRESS [74C1BF2]	VRC [2E] LRC [E1] CRC [7310]
20150115	61509	PASSED	FUNCTION: 2-ACTIVATION 	ADDRESS [74C1BF2]	VRC [2E] LRC [E1] CRC [7310]
20150115	94100	PASSED	FUNCTION: C-DEACTIVATE 	ADDRESS [74C1BF2]	VRC [6C] LRC [1E] CRC [F884]

Shawn
73s

Last edited:

AuToGrApHzZz

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting share. I have trolled the LoJack threads for a while now and I am interested in the decoding project. I'm no expert and I am not in Denver but I was wondering if it would be useful to provide LoJack recording in general for analysis? I just got my BCD436HP so I could easily record any hits on 173.075 while I am out working. Let me know and thanks again for the share!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Pagecopy - LoJack Alert. Adams Co agencies and now Denver working signal from stolen silver Chevy HHR. A/O 18 & Stout ATT. /004/

Posted by 5280FIRE MNN Pages at 07:45

Pagecopy - LoJack U/D. Veh just recovered by Thornton PD at 104 & Washington. /TPD/004/

Posted by 5280FIRE MNN Pages at 09:02

Jim<

ScannerSK

Very interesting share. I have trolled the LoJack threads for a while now and I am interested in the decoding project. I'm no expert and I am not in Denver but I was wondering if it would be useful to provide LoJack recording in general for analysis? I just got my BCD436HP so I could easily record any hits on 173.075 while I am out working. Let me know and thanks again for the share!

Hello,

I would certainly be interested in any LoJack hits (stolen vehicle transmissions) you are actually able to record. Most of what is received on the LoJack frequency is simply the towers sending out data every 64 seconds. Some areas have multiple towers sending out data so they space the towers eight seconds apart from each other. However, once in a while it is possible to capture a hit or tracking signal from a stolen vehicle. Actual hits begin at a slow transmission rate of about one tracking signal transmitted every fifteen or twenty seconds and then are sped up when police begin tracking the stolen vehicle to once every few seconds for thirty minutes at a time (per speed up request).

Eric in the LoJack decoding thread is interested in the Site IDs transmitted from various sections of the country from the towers. Currently, I am interested in gathering a few more examples of the signals transmitted from stolen vehicles which are harder to capture. If I lived in a high rise apartment in a large city it would be no problem however I live in a rural country setting where a LoJack signal from a stolen vehicle may only take place once a year at best.

The SDRTrunk program used to decode the LoJack signals works well. I run the audio from my scanner into the microphone input on my computer which provides the sound required for the program to decode the LoJack data.

I use a sound activated program called RecAll to automatically record the LoJack sound clips received throughout the day into individual sound files while also decoding the data with SDRTrunk. I review the size of the recorded sound clips each day and look for larger than normal file sizes and smaller than normal file sizes to find any stolen vehicle pulses or other unusual activity that occurred on the LoJack frequency apart from the standard tower transmissions.

You're welcome on the post. I was just curious if anyone captured the signal from Thornton this morning.

Shawn

Last edited:

ScannerSK

Pagecopy - LoJack Alert. Adams Co agencies and now Denver working signal from stolen silver Chevy HHR. A/O 18 & Stout ATT. /004/

Posted by 5280FIRE MNN Pages at 07:45

Pagecopy - LoJack U/D. Veh just recovered by Thornton PD at 104 & Washington. /TPD/004/

Posted by 5280FIRE MNN Pages at 09:02

Jim<

Thank you Jim!

I'm glad to see the LoJack notifications on the MNN website. I'm hoping the next time a notification occurs I am available to drive toward Denver in the hopes of capturing an audio recording of the stolen vehicle transmissions for comparison purposes with another known stolen vehicle transmission.

Shawn
73s

Last edited:

jbeen

Feed Provider
There was also some chatter about this LoJack case on MetroNet.
Specifically, I heard traffic about 7:40am on 1/15/15, which you can hear via the "Colorado Interagency Mutual Aid" feed archive here:
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/12044

Also, a Lakewood agent was picking it up when he first turned on his car, about 6:30am, but this appeared to not be a nearby 'hit'.

Interestingly, this was the first LoJack radio talk I'd heard in a year+ of listening.
I do hear Lakewood finding quite a few stolen cars via license plate scanning, though.

Regards,
Josh

ScannerSK

There was also some chatter about this LoJack case on MetroNet.
Specifically, I heard traffic about 7:40am on 1/15/15, which you can hear via the "Colorado Interagency Mutual Aid" feed archive here:
Colorado Interagency Mutual Aid

Also, a Lakewood agent was picking it up when he first turned on his car, about 6:30am, but this appeared to not be a nearby 'hit'.

Interestingly, this was the first LoJack radio talk I'd heard in a year+ of listening.
I do hear Lakewood finding quite a few stolen cars via license plate scanning, though.

Regards,
Josh

The 6:30 am time makes sense as it appears the transponder was successfully activated around 6:15 am. January is one of the busiest times of the year for LoJack activations in colder climates primarily due to vehicles left running unattended. Typically, the vehicle transponders have a range of 3-5 miles.

It is always interesting to hear the story behind the LoJack activations seen in the tower transmissions.

Here is a story regarding another LoJack activation back in December. December LoJack

Shawn

ScannerSK

Reviewing audio feeds of the LoJack hit, it had a "Reply Code" of AD17U. The vehicle was entered as stolen at 6:08 AM out of Aurora. The LoJack tower data shows successful activation at 6:15 AM. The vehicle was recovered unoccupied and running in Thornton at 9:00 AM.

We are hoping to catch an example of the full circle of events which take place in the LoJack process: 1.) activation command sent by the tower, 2.) vehicle tracking signal (reply code) begins transmitting (an audible recording would be great), 3.) tower stops sending activation commands, 4.) speed up/rate change command sent by the tower and finally 5.) the deactivation command sent by the tower.

In this LoJack example I was able to capture events 1, 3 and 5 in the above sequence. Unfortunately, I was too far away to record an audible example of the stolen vehicle tracking pulses on 173.075 MHz or to receive the speed up/rate change commands issued by the tower.

I'm not sure if any members are using the SDRTrunk program in the Denver area to record LoJack tower data? If yes, I would be interested in any data received from the LoJack towers near Denver the morning of 1/15/2015. We are very close to verifying the full circle of events which take place in the LoJack process.

Shawn
73s

Last edited:

rfburns

CSP airborne wrking LoJack activation with reply code of 9FJ79. 2 door Pontiac in Motion, 514WWU. Started out around I-70 elevated. Latest position in Stapleton SE of I-70 and Quebec.

ScannerSK

Denver police reported the vehicle was recovered unoccupied Wednesday around 1:45 PM at 2300 Cleveland Place. A backup car was requested while awaiting a tow.

The LoJack tower data shows the transponder in the vehicle was activated at 8:15 AM Wednesday morning. The first speed-up/tracking request was at 8:45 AM likely when Airborne 1 first received the signal. The LoJack transmitter was turned off at 2:14 PM.

Shawn

rfburns

Two white pickup trucks. LKP in Denver EB from 47th and Washington.

ScannerSK

The two stolen white trucks with flat beds were recovered unoccupied near 47th and Washington. Possibly around 10AM the vehicles separated from each other and one was blowing through stop signs and failing to yield to Adams county police (the audio should be in the feed archive). Adams county stopped pursuit when the vehicle entered Denver's district.

Last edited:

ScannerSK

There is yet another additional LoJack going off which the police have yet to recover last received in the area of 1470 S Quebec Way (possibly a '98 Ford Explorer).

Police have lost the tracking signal numerous times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.