• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Lone Tree Encrypted, Just heard for the first Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryfly

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
114
Ok, so i never have heard what encrypted sounds like but finally, Lone Tree PD started to bounce of Riley Peak. Well, i have to say it pretty intresting, i'm getting of course it being garbled 90% of the time but every once in awhile all hear a burst of clear voice. I don't know if thats normal, but it's pretty amazing what you can do over the airwaves these days.
Bummer it's encryped though, Lone Tree would be intresting to listen too, it being near a mall and all but i just wanted to hear what encryption sounds like.
 

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
2,612
Location
AOA
Lone Tree is dispatched by Parker PD and they are not encrypted. They use the C/S "Lima Tango."
 

RodStrong

Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
1,103
If you are hearing some in the clear, I doubt it's encrypted. Maybe you were just hearing some digital distortion.
 

captaincraig44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
791
Location
Arvada
RodStrong said:
If you are hearing some in the clear, I doubt it's encrypted. Maybe you were just hearing some digital distortion.
What he said. Encryption is either completely on or completely off for entire transmissions. If you are hearing garbage and then a second of clear audio, then more garbage, then you have a weak signal that doesn't have enough good data to decode the voice 100% of the time. If you've talked on a digital cellphone and heard the Donald Duck effect when you hit a dead spot (or right before you drop the call), then you've experienced this for yourself.
 

MikeyB

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
688
Location
Centennial, Colorado
captaincraig44 said:
What he said. Encryption is either completely on or completely off for entire transmissions. If you are hearing garbage and then a second of clear audio, then more garbage, then you have a weak signal that doesn't have enough good data to decode the voice 100% of the time. If you've talked on a digital cellphone and heard the Donald Duck effect when you hit a dead spot (or right before you drop the call), then you've experienced this for yourself.
I heard the same thing he was talking about. On TG 1009, most of the conversation was encrypted and then a different radio would come on and say "Turn left at the corner" or something like that. Also on Parker PD, I heard LT say they were doing a traffic stop and dispatch said go ahead and then the location and license plate were what sounded like encrypted, then the reply from dispatch was back clear. Later hearing LT cars doing other stuff it was all clear. I've heard drop-off before, and this definitely sounded different than the garble from a weak signal.
 

RodStrong

Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
1,103
MikeyB said:
I heard the same thing he was talking about. On TG 1009, most of the conversation was encrypted and then a different radio would come on and say "Turn left at the corner" or something like that. Also on Parker PD, I heard LT say they were doing a traffic stop and dispatch said go ahead and then the location and license plate were what sounded like encrypted, then the reply from dispatch was back clear. Later hearing LT cars doing other stuff it was all clear. I've heard drop-off before, and this definitely sounded different than the garble from a weak signal.
Maybe they are doing things like some places where dispatch is clear and street units are encrypted.

The Parker deal sounds really weird. Certainly possible (if enabled) for a guy to make a stop in the clear, and then switch to encrypted to read off the plate and location, but man, that shouldn't be the norm. I suppose they could have been trying to be secure about a specific case they were working on, but doing that on a uniform basis is not wise. Officers don't need to be messing with their radios while in the middle of traffic stops. That's just one more thing to distract them.
 

MikeyB

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
688
Location
Centennial, Colorado
RodStrong said:
Maybe they are doing things like some places where dispatch is clear and street units are encrypted.

The Parker deal sounds really weird. Certainly possible (if enabled) for a guy to make a stop in the clear, and then switch to encrypted to read off the plate and location, but man, that shouldn't be the norm. I suppose they could have been trying to be secure about a specific case they were working on, but doing that on a uniform basis is not wise. Officers don't need to be messing with their radios while in the middle of traffic stops. That's just one more thing to distract them.
I wish somebody else would confirm that they've heard this going on. Maybe I was just really tired! I then heard Lone Tree running calls on Parker in the clear later including clearing names.

Also, for agencies that would run clear on channel 1 and encrypted on channel 2, etc., is there something on the radio that tells it to go encrypted when switching channels, or is this done manually on the radio?
 
Last edited:

scanlist

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
2,029
Location
Greeley, CO
You guys weren't using PRO-96 or PRO-2096 scanners at the time you heard the crypto by any chance?

Phil.
 

n0nhj

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
328
Location
Glenwood Springs, CO
Encryption

Could also have been that he/she called in the stop with the mobile (set to operate in the clear), and then called in the other traffic on the handheld that had the magic button pushed and it was encrypted.

Chuck
 

RodStrong

Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
1,103
MikeyB said:
Also, for agencies that would run clear on channel 1 and encrypted on channel 2, etc., is there something on the radio that tells it to go encrypted when switching channels, or is this done manually on the radio?
It depends on how the radio is programmed. They can make the user manually go encrypted/clear as desired, or they can be automatically encrypted by simply switching to a TG that is full time encrypted.
 

captaincraig44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
791
Location
Arvada
The PRO-96, PSR-500, etc allow encrypted comms to come through. The Unidens simply ignore the encryption, so if it was encryption, you would not hear anything on the Unidens. Sometimes with the GRE radios you might initially think you have a weak signal, when it is in fact really encryption.
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,333
Location
Colorado
captaincraig44 said:
The PRO-96, PSR-500, etc allow encrypted comms to come through. The Unidens simply ignore the encryption, so if it was encryption, you would not hear anything on the Unidens. Sometimes with the GRE radios you might initially think you have a weak signal, when it is in fact really encryption.
Didn't know that. Thanks!
 

scanlist

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
2,029
Location
Greeley, CO
What Craig said plus the annoyance with the voice channel hang-time delay on sites with heavy radio traffic.

Phil.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top