Long Beach, CA -- High-Tech Thieves Use New Gadget To Gain Keyless Access To Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
High tech...maybe. Fingerprints all over the place..not high tech lol.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
These guys do not look smart enough to use anything high tech. Todays cars need to be programmed to each key fob with sophiticated equipment, and even the locksmiths have a time with it. With the programmer they had to hit the brake so many times on my car and have the emergency flashers on, so it looks more like the cars were unlocked.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
In today's keys, there is a chip inside of it. You can cut a key to fit the lock, but all you will do is have a key that doesn't turn the motor over! Had to get keys replaced for my truck once (2002 SportTrac), and it was no problem getting it cut - locksmith brought out a ring of Ford keys and tried each one until it opened the door - but then had to read the on board computer in order to get the matching code to be able to start the car. Only took about 45 minutes for the entire process.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The finger prints have to be on file for a match.

Arrest record, U.S Military / U.S Govt service, employer background check...ect..ect

FF-Medic !!!

More than likely if these gentlemen are in the criminal business, they are probably no stranger to the business end of a crown vic. :)

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Easy Theft

I don't know for sure, but I'm betting a huge percentage of vehicle thefts are made simple by the presence of keys left in the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.