Long Distance Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahghost

I was listening to my digital scanner today and heard a high speed pursuit, I kept hearing the units calling to METRO, metro is the twin cities, minneapolis/st.paul area, i went to live feeds on here and the chase was down in anoke county, 178.9 miles away, my question is, how is it im able to hear a chase that far away? By the way Im in Minnesota in Hubbard County and the chase was 178.9 miles away in Anoka county. Mileage is what google maps gave me.

nsrailfan6130

Since M/SP is on the ARMER system, Chances are that they are affiliating to a tower that is close to where you are. I know here in Michigan, I am close enough to receive traffic from as far away as 75 Miles on a regular basis on MARCS (Ohio) MPSCS (Michigan) and if the right conditions exist, up to 200 miles away so it depends on what TG is affiliating with what tower.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
Think of it like cell phone service. How are you able to hear your friend across the country? It all starts with you connecting to the tower closest to you. Same situation here. The tower close to you happened to be connected to the right network to where it could be heard for a long time. You didn't receive radio waves from 150 miles away.

Unlike today where I heard a high speed chase that got out of range 10 miles out of town. Outside of a cell phone, they had no way of talking to their dispatch. Not knowing the condition of your officer is scary business of a dispatcher. Your community is fortunate to have such a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.