• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Long shot - Icom IC-H2 Reprogramming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prima2k

Hello,

I have a number of elderly Icom IC-H2 units that I need to re-programme.

I'm not asking to be provided with the software itself just to know if it is possible to achieve and what the name of the software is as exhaustive searching has turned up very little due to the age of these handsets (that are still working fine after 17years of service!)

Thanks in advance.

Ross

cwerntz

Diode Matrix

The IC-H2 is programmed via diode matrix, not software. These are real workhorse radios, which I like as well (although I prefer the 6 or 12 channel versions.) The matrix is under the cap on the top of the radio (where the thumbwheels are on the IC-2AT).

The major issue with this radio is that there is a "base frequency", determined by a crystal, and that the radio can ONLY be programmed for frequencies higher that this base frequency. Most of the time this is about 153 MHz (for a 153-158 MHZ radio). There are some which have a lower base and others a higher base. The trick is that for the IC-H2 the diode matrix determines how many 0.015 MHz increments the desired frequency is above the base frequency. (I think the IC-H2 is 0.015 MHz increments, I know that the IC-H6 and IC-H12 are 0.005 MHz increments.

So what I do when I get a new radio is set it to channel 1, determine the transmit freq, then figure out the BCD which is encoded in the diode matrix for that channel, then calculate the apparent base frequency [Operating frequency - (diode Matrix number * 0.015 MHz) = Base frequency]. I then do the same calculation for the second channel, and if they agree the base frequency is known.

Then one just calculates how many 0.015 MHz increments the desired operating frequency is above the base frequency, adjust the diode matrix, and off you go!

Good Luck! Carl WA3ZZU

prima2k

Hello Carl,

Many thanks for the info, explains why I was unable to find out any information about the programming!

I already have the frequency that they are currently programmed to and other handsets I can reprogramme to find the new frequency so that should help

I am guessing that the following is also true :-

Same frequency for TX/RX channels
No CTCSS possible

I wouldn't even like to guess how old the handsets we have are, they have certainly been in use for 20yrs+ with the Hovercraft club of Great Britain and we have only recently replaced them with Vertex VHF units as batteries/accessories are expiring.

Thanks once again for the info.

Ross

johntolson

Long shot also,

I maintain quite a few of the ICOM IC-H2 for a motor sport club and would be grateful for any source of spares in particular the flexible internal connector.

W2NJS

Don't give up yet. I think if you contact Icom Service in the state of Washington they will have the setup manual for these radios; it's certainly worth a try and might save you a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.