Looking For A Dual Band DMR HT That Has Roaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, I am looking for a dual band DMR HT that has roaming. What are my current choices?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Well, the Anytone 878 for starters. I don’t have the 878, but I do have its predecessor the 868, and can say it is a fine little radio for the price. The 878 is supposed to be even better.

km4hth

Premium Subscriber
I have not come across any dmr radios with roaming. I have 3 dmr radios. It would be cool it they came out with a dmr that could do that, but given the nature of dmr I do't think it would be possible.

bharvey2

Well, the Anytone 878 for starters. I don’t have the 878, but I do have its predecessor the 868, and can say it is a fine little radio for the price. The 878 is supposed to be even better.

I also have the Anytone 868. For the most part, it's been a good radio. They one issue I have with it is that it's a little slow to start up. By no means is it a deal breaker and it doesn't affect its operation. I like the idea of roaming and may consider the 878 in the future.

Although I don't have the dual band version, TYT has a 2M/70cm version of the MD380. I also think Aliunce makes a dual band DMR radio as well. Not sure if either of those do roaming though.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
The dual band TYT DMR radio is the MD-UV380 and it does NOT do roaming. I have an MD-UV380 and it works fine, but the Anytone 868 is just all around a better radio. Better display (with more characters), longer battery life, more capacity for digital contacts, better software, Digital Monitor mode is better (does both time slots simultaneously, can even sniff out the color code), you can assign “Nuisance Delete” to a button which lets you skip a channel during scan, scans 50 channels vs 30 or so for the TYT, changes zones faster. I could go on but you get the gist.

JASII

Memory Capacity

Well, the Anytone 878 is the one that I have been focusing on. Possibly it is the only dual band DMR HT right now that has roaming.

I suppose I owe it to myself to read up on the Alinco DJ-MD5T, just in case it has roaming, but I sort of doubt that it does.

Hans13

I suppose I owe it to myself to read up on the Alinco DJ-MD5T, just in case it has roaming, but I sort of doubt that it does.

No roaming right now on the DJ-MD5T and with as slow as I suspect Alinco will be on any firmware changes, it might be some time... if ever. There's no analog APRS either yet.

Unless you have a specific reason for the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP, I would suggest leaning more towards the Anytone D878UV. It has a larger battery, says it does roaming, and IMHO there is more likely to be firmware upgrades regularly (and perhaps 3rd party too) compared to Alinco. As you know, I have the DJ-MD5TGP and I like it. However, we have a bit invested in the DJ-500T/TB series radios and they share batteries, speaker mics, and basic form factor with the DJ-MD5T/GP. Otherwise, it is very difficult for me to recommend the DJ-MD5TGP over the Anytone D878UV.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have sold off some other gear and I am getting ready to buy a dual band DMR HT. It will probably be the Anytone AT-D878UV. I am just wondering if anything has changed over the past month. Specifically, is this still the dual band DMR HT with roaming?

Also, can anybody here recommend a specific dealer? Are these all pretty much the same price wherever you buy these from? I recall that somewhere included an additional gain antenna. That just might sway me to buy from them!

bharvey2

I have sold off some other gear and I am getting ready to buy a dual band DMR HT. It will probably be the Anytone AT-D878UV. I am just wondering if anything has changed over the past month. Specifically, is this still the dual band DMR HT with roaming?

Also, can anybody here recommend a specific dealer? Are these all pretty much the same price wherever you buy these from? I recall that somewhere included an additional gain antenna. That just might sway me to buy from them!

I purchased my 868 from Connect Systems. I've always been on the receiving end of excellent customer service no matter who I speak to there. I just checked their website and they list the 878 as well. If MTCRadio has it, they'd be a good option as well.

KE0TTH

I bought an AT-878 from Powerwerx in November. So far pretty happy. Had an issues where when you requested that the time be displayed, the volume level changes would not show up. Turn off the time request in the software, and the volume level would show up as expected when you turn the knob. Latest firmware update fixed that. You can get updated driver software, firmware, and programming software from the Powerwerx website. I need a true mobile to reach the repeaters in my area. Was waiting for the new Anytone 578 that was “SUPPOSED” to be available “early” Q1 2019. Latest word is now May. Don’t know if I can wait that long. Have gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and would like to reach out without having to use a MMDVM.

Good luck.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
As posted above, I am looking for a dual band DMR HT that has roaming. What are my current choices?
The only DMR radios I'm aware of that do actual "roaming" are not HTs at all. The Motorola XPR4550 and XPR5550 mobiles will do "roaming" if they are programmed correctly. I can roam around Indiana and have my XPR5550 automatically switch tower sites on the Hoosier DMR Network.

It's a pity that I don't do a lot of traveling, as this feature is otherwise useless... :cry:

dmaria

The only DMR radios I'm aware of that do actual "roaming" are not HTs at all. The Motorola XPR4550 and XPR5550 mobiles will do "roaming" if they are programmed correctly. I can roam around Indiana and have my XPR5550 automatically switch tower sites on the Hoosier DMR Network.

It's a pity that I don't do a lot of traveling, as this feature is otherwise useless... :cry:

The Anytone AT878 does roaming. How well I don't know because there is only one repeater around here. I also have a Motorola XPR7550 that I believe does roaming. Both of these are HTs.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I have an older XPR7550 and an AT868, neither of which support roaming. BTW, do you know what "XPR" really means?

"eXpensive Personal Radio..." :ROFLMAO:

Hit_Factor

Hytera PD782G roams, but it's only UHF.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

dmaria

I purchased mine from Connect Systems in California. They have some of the best support I have ever seen. Connect Systems Radio Store

Status
Not open for further replies.