Looking for a Uniden analog only base scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncfirewire

Hi am looking for everyone's choice for a great working analog only Uniden base scanner to go along side my sds200.
My sds 200 is great for the digital stuff but it isnt very good with the analog. Wondering what some of the older favorite models are that work great on for mainly uhf and vhf bands

Thanks

Ncfirewire

Last analog-only Uniden base unit I owned was the BCT15X: Still available at Scanner Master here: bct15x | ScannerMaster.com
Solid performer on all bands with stock & external antennas. Sold mine a few years ago to fund upgrades, I sometimes wish I didn't
I also sold one of those a few years ago i just wonder if something even older would work even better?

A

Analog-Surf-1963

I own 3 Uniden 760's - I find these to be great on VHF and UHF Analog Departments.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
BC780XLT was a great analog Uniden. You can probably find one on ebay for less than $100. Also, the BC785D while it was digital, is now useless for digital trunking due to rebanding. For this reason, they sell fairly cheap.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The problem also with older models is lack of support for post-narrowband frequencies. But, any heterodyne-type receiver will likely have more consistent performance than the I/Q receiver on analog. Sometimes better, sometimes about equal, usually more immune to in-band interference. This has been improving with later updates to I/Q models, but doubt the gap can be completely closed with current (<$1000) designs.

ansky

The problem also with older models is lack of support for post-narrowband frequencies. But, any heterodyne-type receiver will likely have more consistent performance than the I/Q receiver on analog. Sometimes better, sometimes about equal, usually more immune to in-band interference. This has been improving with later updates to I/Q models, but doubt the gap can be completely closed with current (<$1000) designs.

My SDS200 seems to be pretty good on analog overall. Where I see some issues is when there are multiple agencies using the same frequency (which is quite common in the NYC area). It seems that the scanner occasionally let's in the other traffic even when it's on a different CTCSS tone.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber

Very honest assessment. People want top notch analog and top notch P25 simulcast and it's not going to happen for $700. The understandable design bias is towards P25 simulcast. An ideal setup with currently available product is an SDS scanner with at least one separate analog scanner. The SDS scanners work "OK" with analog, and as you said, sometimes better than others, but in no way are these ever going to be "go to" analog scanners. The white noise level on weak signals alone assures this, never mind the intermod, bleed-over, opening of squelch on a frequency despite a different PL code...all of the other things that have been mentioned. Still, with relatively strong analog signals, I find that the SDS does well enough and I enjoy having my main analog stuff in rotation as I scan mostly P25 systems. I just don't scan the weak signal analog stuff on my SDS100 or SDS200.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I have a BC860XLT I use on occasion with good results. You can usually find them at decent prices (mine was $25 on eBay). And that sucker is LOUD when you crank up the volume ...

Bob1955

Hi am looking for everyone's choice for a great working analog only Uniden base scanner to go along side my sds200.
My sds 200 is great for the digital stuff but it isnt very good with the analog. Wondering what some of the older favorite models are that work great on for mainly uhf and vhf bands

Thanks
metzeric,
If you don't want/need trunking on alalog, you can purchase a Uniden Bearcat BC-355N(A little tricky programing-I'll help you) or a BC-345CRS. Stay away from whistler all together. I have a MINT condition Bearcat BC-890XLT which is a 200 channel base with CTCSS but NO Narrow Banding. I'm NOT sure if the fire chief will give it to me yet as I did minor repairs like making it look new, ect. The display back light screen is out but boy, is the audio and sensitivity great! I'll also through in a DC Cigarette lighter plug free but I need to get his answer first. Please send me a private message. Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland--Paul's number at 877-568-7226. They are a GREAT source for everything. They are dropping Whislter scanners.
What freq do you want in? This will determine if you need a new scanner with Narrow Banding.
Thanks and have a nice Thursday.

Bob (Westchester County, NY)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I currently have an excellent BCT15X for most all of my analog requirements, which is mostly aircraft. But my all time large-form-factor analog scanners were Uniden's BC9000-XLT, BC895-XLT and BC898T. Mostly due to the larger knobs, keypad, and speaker located in the top.

DonJuanIII

Premium Subscriber
I like my old BC780XLT - but I think it's easier and cheaper to find a BCT15X... ( I still use a BC9000XLT too ! )

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I second the 895XLT and the BCT15X, great analog scanners with good audio. But, King Tut, in my book, is the Realistic Pro-2006. I've never found an analog scanner with the sensitivity and front end like the 2006. I got away from using it due to the eye candy of other models (i.e. alpha-tags) but have recently got back to it. Fantastic scanner!

JD
kf4anc

ansky

I second the 895XLT and the BCT15X, great analog scanners with good audio. But, King Tut, in my book, is the Realistic Pro-2006. I've never found an analog scanner with the sensitivity and front end like the 2006. I got away from using it due to the eye candy of other models (i.e. alpha-tags) but have recently got back to it. Fantastic scanner!

JD
kf4anc

There are a ton of 2006's on eBay right now for under 100 bucks.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Over the years I've owned several of them. One of them was hot-rodded with every mod you can think of and I think I paid $500 for it way back when. Sold it when I got away from the hobby for a few years, then found the one I have now on eBay for a great price. No mods, except for the backlight, and it is rock solid on anything analog and especially milair. I think I'll keep this one :)

JD
kf4anc

bigcam406

Agreed. I love my BC898T for those reasons. I will never get rid of that one.
I currently have an excellent BCT15X for most all of my analog requirements, which is mostly aircraft. But my all time large-form-factor analog scanners were Uniden's BC9000-XLT, BC895-XLT and BC898T. Mostly due to the larger knobs, keypad, and speaker located in the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.