Looking for "cheap" antenna online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayd

Hi!

I've heard that the stock rubish antenna are not very good (and it's easy to guess why...). So I'm looking for an antenna on ebay.ca (SMA-F Dual band) that is resistant (it won't break too easily) and that is good (obviously).

Since most of you guys know those stuff, I fugured that maybe you would like to help me in this little journey.

I don't want to spend too much money on it, I just want to increase my Rx/Tx range a little.

The one that come with the Baofeng UV-5RA is sold 5$ on ebay, so I though an antenna around 15$ would give me a little advantage over this one.

What do you think?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have gone back to a lot of stock antennas on my radios. As with mobile and base antennas, the better the antenna [ie more expensive-in most cases], the better. Cheap is cheap.

LtDoc

Look for a 1/4 wave antenna that has the required means of attaching it to your HT, SMA, whatever. They will typically do better than the standard 'duck' on most HTs. Don't be fooled by advertisements, a typical 1/4 wave antenna has no gain at all, it has less than unity gain. But, that's more than the typical 'duck' antenna that comes with most HTs has. A 2 meter 1/4 wave will certainly work on 70 cm and have some small amount of gain.
Use that 1/4 wave antenna with a 'rat's tail' on your HT and you now have a 1/2 wave antenna. It should do better than the supplied 'duck' and a 1/4 wave alone. Still won't do miracles, but will be better.
- 'Doc

n5ims

These (Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna) work quite nicely but make sure you get the correct one for your radio since they make it with a BNC, SMA, and Reverse SMA connector.

While it works better for me signal wise, the extra length can be a problem. The stock antenna sits nicely on my belt but the extra length on the '77 causes it to poke me in the side and/or armpit while walking around.

tilt404

Comet SMA24 has been a winner for me and my HT. 17" though but very flexible whip. Has great gain on 70cm for me, not bad on 2m. Maybe not so cheap, but performs great and very durable. Its all I will ever buy again. Had one for years now with no problems.

LtDoc

One thing to keep in mind is that doing comparisons like this (on the air kind of stuff) is always a 'gross' comparison. The difference between one particular brand of antenna and another brand isn't all that much in most cases. If it comes down to measuring the thing in a 'lab' type environment, then there's not enough difference that I'd ever be able to tell from just using it.
Like it or not, availability is the biggy for me. If one particular brand is 'easier' to come by than another, guess which I'll get. The dealer I happen to use happened to have a Comet 1/4 wave in stock. It's doing well and lasted for a couple of years, so it's a good antenna. YMMV naturally...
- Paul

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I like maldol antennas, and buying Diamond antennas is dodgy anymore unless you buy from a reputable source (and it seems even then it can be touch and go). The Maldol antennas for portable use are as good as anything else I've used and cost a little less in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.