Looking for coax advise for new scanner setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0LOE

I am currently run an old pro-197 with a 2meter/70cm dual band KB9VBR j-pole antenna mounted to the roof at about 20'-25'. Its connected connected with 9913 coax. The antenna and coax are from when I used to be on 2 meters back in the day. 2 meters is pretty much dead here, so now its a scanner antenna.

I am monitoring vhf-hi conventional and P25, UHF, and a 800 MHZ EDACS provice system. Surprisingly the j-pole picks up the 800 system quite well. I just bought a BCD996P2, and it is going to be used for public safety. I plan on keeping the 197 and setting it up for civil/mil aviation scanner.

I've read a bunch about splitting the signal between the two, and read about using RG6 quadshield coax, instead of the standard 50 ohm 9913/lmr400. Since I plan on slitting between the two with TV stuff due to cost, having most the stuff laying around, and only using two scanners. should I replace the 9913 feed line and just to with all RG6? or keep the 9913 up there and adapt it down to RG6 in the shack? If I kept the 9913, its there going to be issues going from a 50ohm to 75ohm feed line? Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here's a calculator you can use to compare feed line losses at various lengths and frequencies:
Coax Loss Calculator | KV5R.COM

Just for kicks, I put in 40 feet of RG-6 at 855MHz - A bit over 3.6dB loss
For the 9913, it's about 1.6dB loss.

If you already have the 9913 installed and it's working well, stick with it. You could use it to feed a splitter then use the RG-6 to feed the two scanners.

KC0LOE

Thats what i figuring, keeping the 9913. They have both been up there for about 10 years just chugging along. Its been a long time since ive messed around with feed lines. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.