• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Looking for FCC Information on UHF Maritime Frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,576
Location
Los Altos, CA
#1
I am looking for UHF Maritime Frequencies and the repeater pairings. I have already been here:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...s.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/octqtr/pdf/47cfr80.373.pdf
And see the repeater pairing listed there. I remember a while back I found an FCC reference that listed 12.5kHz and 6.25kHz frequencies in this band/usage.

Below is the data I extracted into my radio's "Cruise Ship UHF" profile. I want to find the FCC data so I can verify the data. Does anyone have a link to the document?

Thanks!

457.5000
457.5250
457.5312
457.5375
457.5437
457.5500
457.5562
457.5625
457.5687
457.5750
457.5812
457.5875
457.5937
457.6000
457.6062
457.6125
457.6187
457.6250
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,576
Location
Los Altos, CA
#2
Ok, I finally found it. Go here:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ss.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/pdf/47cfr90.35.pdf

It's on the PDF page (as shown in Acrobat) of 28, and it's on the document page (as shown in the document text) of 302.

The table is below. Maybe we should update the Wiki page:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Marine_VHF_Channels

...and add a Marine_UHF_Channels?

(iii) For mobile relay operations under paragraph (c)(60)(i) of this section, frequency pairing is as follows:
Mobile relay (MHz)1 Mobile (MHz)
457.525 467.750
457.53125 467.75625
457.5375 467.7625
457.54375 467.76875
457.550 467.775
457.55625 467.78125
457.5625 467.7875
457.56875 467.79375
457.575 467.800
457.58125 467.80625
457.5875 467.8125
457.59375 467.81875
457.600 467.825
457.60625 467.83125
457.6125
457.61875

1The mobile relay frequencies may also be used for single frequency simplex.
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
150
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
#3
I'm sure I won't change anyone's mind here with an objection to the semantics, but there is no such thing as "UHF Maritime frequencies".

The allocation of GMRS business channels for interior shipboard communications is simply because a vessel may transit in range of fixed-land licensed GMRS users, and causes interference when they stray from the alloted frequencies. It is not a "UHF marine band" or "Marine UHF". The purely internal business-purpose of these channels has nothing to do with maritime communications, whether the vessel is compulsory or voluntary equipped. It could be argued that all such communications intended for internal business purposes are not public, and they certainly would not be exempted from protection as safety of navigation or distress communications are. In fact many commercial vessels are classified as public carriers, and those communications are specifically protected under the acts the hobby has come to admire so much.

Jack
 

SCANdal

Silent Key
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
932
Location
Hudson Valley, NY
#4
Now I'm completely confused...

Oceana,

None of the frequencies that b52hbuff 'discovered' are General Mobile Radio Service frequencies, of which there are only 23 nationwide (see below); and there is no such thing as a "GMRS business channel." Therefore, how can what's listed above be, to use your words, "allocated" for the purposes you claim?

SCANdal

General Mobile Radio Service frequencies:
462.550 / 467.550
462.5625 (shared with the Family Radio Service)
462.575 / 467.575
462.5875 (shared with FRS)
462.600 / 467.600
462.6125 (shared with FRS)
462.625 / 467.625
462.6375 (shared with FRS)
462.650 / 467.650
462.6625 (shared with FRS)
462.675 / 467.675
462.6875 (shared with FRS)
462.700 / 467.700
462.7125 (shared with FRS)
462.725 / 467.725
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,576
Location
Los Altos, CA
#5
OceanaRadio said:
The purely internal business-purpose of these channels has nothing to do with maritime communications, whether the vessel is compulsory or voluntary equipped. It could be argued that all such communications intended for internal business purposes are not public, and they certainly would not be exempted from protection as safety of navigation or distress communications are. In fact many commercial vessels are classified as public carriers, and those communications are specifically protected under the acts the hobby has come to admire so much.

Jack
I don't mind/care about arguing the semantics of the naming.

But what I don't understand is why you think they are 'protected'?
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
150
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
#6
b52hbuff said:
I don't mind/care about arguing the semantics of the naming.

But what I don't understand is why you think they are 'protected'?
Hi b52hbuff,

Remember that ugly caveat in the ECPA that discusses communications made from public carriers? Lobbied into the Act by UPS perhaps, or air carriers, it has a pretty wide brush. I'm just suggesting that it might include the business communications of vessels, as distinguished from maritime safety or air safety communications made by the same vessels or aircraft.

73,
Jack
 
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
150
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
#7
SCANdal said:
Oceana,

None of the frequencies that b52hbuff 'discovered' are General Mobile Radio Service frequencies, of which there are only 23 nationwide (see below); and there is no such thing as a "GMRS business channel." Therefore, how can what's listed above be, to use your words, "allocated" for the purposes you claim?
SCANdal
SCandal,

You are right they are not the same GMRS channels, they are deliberately separate from GMRS (albeit very close/intermingled to them) to avoid interference as discussed. They are allocated for shipboard use, I was just relating that they are not for maritime communications as we commonly define the term to include ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore communications. Of course when vessels do use GMRS channels and according to some this is fairly common, they cause intereference to licensed land users of the channels. Vessels sailing up the Chesapeake Bay for instance have interfered with numerous GMRS repeater users on both sides of the Bay, and the complaints fly. There is even a web page dedicated to catching and reporting unauthorized vessel-use of GMRS. I guess they can't be too concerned about who hears what they say while they are are violating U.S. and international agreements ;-)

73,
Jack
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,091
Location
Charlottesville
#8
Hi Guys:

Since I'm heading out for a cruise vacation soon I'll put those freqs in my "cruise" bank and see what I get.

To perhaps clarify, the ECPA applied only to business when that business is carriage of public communication such as cellular and paging and cordless telephone - basically anything that is primarily interconnected with the Public Switched Telephone Network. It does not apply to anyone's internal business communication over the public airwaves. The analogy with "transporting the public" is no different than monitoring your local bus company (boring) or a taxi frequency (very boring).

Nonetheless, that is an interesting frequency list and I will try to monitor it next month. I do know from past cruises that the FRS and GMRS channels can get quite a workout on ships.

P.S. I miss 'The Beach', I lived there for a few years in the early 90's. Don't miss the traffic though...
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
10,224
Location
Taxachusetts
#10
Which Ship and from which port?

I have compiled quite a few UHF Maritime Frequencies that are being used by many of the Cruise Lines. Some are GMRS and FRS. Take a peak and PLEASE report back what you hear [CTCSS/DCS welcome]. Always looking to confirm current use on any of the channels.


gcgrotz said:
Hi Guys:

Since I'm heading out for a cruise vacation soon I'll put those freqs in my "cruise" bank and see what I get.

To perhaps clarify, the ECPA applied only to business when that business is carriage of public communication such as cellular and paging and cordless telephone - basically anything that is primarily interconnected with the Public Switched Telephone Network. It does not apply to anyone's internal business communication over the public airwaves. The analogy with "transporting the public" is no different than monitoring your local bus company (boring) or a taxi frequency (very boring).

Nonetheless, that is an interesting frequency list and I will try to monitor it next month. I do know from past cruises that the FRS and GMRS channels can get quite a workout on ships.

P.S. I miss 'The Beach', I lived there for a few years in the early 90's. Don't miss the traffic though...
 

commstar

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 22, 2001
Messages
349
Location
Spokane, WA
#12
In Port of Oakland (Ca) most of these channels are used for operations in the containerized shipping yards; cranes, movement, logistics etc. Kewit/Manson lines come to mind.

Were also in similar use in the Ports of Richmond Stockton and Benicia.

In the past, my understanding of these channels has been that they are available for license
only to maritime operations /dockside activities rather than the actual navigation/operation
of vessels.
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
10,224
Location
Taxachusetts
#13
Anywhere World Wide, these are On-Board simplex and Repeater Pairs for Day-Day Ops.
Many of the Cargo and Cruise Ships use them. There is a World Wide Pairing and there is a North American Pairing of channels. Why two ? Well some of the Foreign Countries tend to use 10 Mhz off sets vs the North America 10.225 Mhz, which puts some of the channels on GMRS Inputs.

The pairs tend to be:

457.5000 457.5250 457.5500 457.5750 457.6000 457.6250
467.7500 467.7750 467.8000 467.8250 467.8250
467.5000 467.5250 467.5500 467.5750 467.6000 467.6250

Inputs/Outputs will vary, altho the Repeaters should be on the 457 channels, this doesn't occur.

You might even find them on the Larger Rivers and Waterways, not just the oceans.



btritch said:
Who uses these? Ships? Where can you hear them? Just on the coasts or anywhere in the US?
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
10,224
Location
Taxachusetts
#14
True, they are not mean't to replace the VHF Marine channels.

However are used for Navigation and Operations.

commstar said:
In Port of Oakland (Ca) most of these channels are used for operations in the containerized shipping yards; cranes, movement, logistics etc. Kewit/Manson lines come to mind.

Were also in similar use in the Ports of Richmond Stockton and Benicia.

In the past, my understanding of these channels has been that they are available for license
only to maritime operations /dockside activities rather than the actual navigation/operation
of vessels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top