Looking for handheld scanner for wireless microphone frequencies (500 MHz to 600 MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018dayTOday

I am looking for a portable/handheld scanner that will lawfully pickup wireless microphone activity in the 500 MHz to 600 MHz frequency range (i.e. something I can take to an event like a Nascar race or a sporting event to be able to hear the commentary from the wireless mics used by the media members). My understanding is that the majority of the modern wireless mics that are used with a video camera are on the 500 MHz to 600MHz range. I purchased a Uniden Bearcat BC125AT, but it appears that the frequency range only goes up to 512 MHz. Any suggestions for a device or method that would enable me to be able to lawfully listen to the 500 MHz to 600 MHz range (wireless microphones). Thank you and my apologies if I've butchered any of the terminology. I'm a newbee.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
2018dayTOday - I recommend the ICOM R6 its a very compact scanner and its also a very Sensitive receiver as well. the ICOM has Continious coverage from 100khz to 1300 mhz. (cell blocked).
so, the ICOM should receive WM very well as well as Targets in the 900mhz Analog range might be a good area to SEARCH as well. the ICOM scans very fast.

K2RNI

There's nothing illegal about it so it's all lawful. Also there's lots of wireless mics on 700 MHz as well since nothing ever gets done about it so you can still pick up lots with your current scanner. You can buy new ones at the store still on that range. They also use VHF range sometimes as well around upper 160 to lower 170 range, especially the IFBs which are shigher powered. The Uniden BR330t does this and uniden also have a built in service search range for that which also sometimes uses 450 MHz. It's under "News" in the search section.

sopranosno1

Also the older pro-26 radio shack, uniden br330t, icom r30. The first two will be hard to find. for the uniden try scannermaster. Icom is a new one. Good luck finding the pro-26.

paulears

Always worth mentioning that the frequencies are also used for in-ear monitor feeds at music events = a great way to get some high quality recordings of your favourite people. Surprised so few people do this!

nd5y

There's nothing illegal about it so it's all lawful.
That is probably incorrect. Wireless mic/belt pack equipment that operates on UHF TV frequencies are Broadcast Auxiliary (FCC Part 74) stations which were made illegal to listen to in 1986.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The ICOM IC-R30 is an excellent receiver and choice for this operation as well as much more. I couldn't recommend a better receiver on the market today; the only thing that would make it better was if ICOM included DMR as well; but it's my goto receiver for everything.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Always worth mentioning that the frequencies are also used for in-ear monitor feeds at music events = a great way to get some high quality recordings of your favourite people. Surprised so few people do this!

Oh yeah been doing that for years, amazing what you can hear in all that backstage banter!

My BR330T was great for everything, wish I still had it now. I just bought the BC125AT for air band/milair. I would buy another 330t if it was in good shape and the price was right. Great radio. Football games, helmet mics. Wireless cops at truckstops. Backstage roadies & security. Hilarious what you can hear out there on those wireless frequencies.

JD
kf4anc

bharvey2

The scanner mentioned above are all good choices. Though more cumbersome, I've used an Android tablet with an RTL-SDR dongle and a copy of SDR-Touch for Android to sort out wireless mic interference. No reason the same setup couldn't be used to monitor them as well.

scannermike11

Banned
before you get a radio for the football games this may not be the case for college games but all of the NFL
Helmet and team Radios are encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.