Looking for Patch Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
For my shack I am looking for a Patch Panel/Pass-thru panel sort of like the MFJ-4601 (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) but on a larger scale.

I need 16 SO-239 and 8 BNC Female connectors on each side and, if possible, at least 1 N-connector.

I will likely mount this on the wall or in a box mounted on the wall.

I may end up having to construct it myself, maybe having a metalwork shop drill and paint the panel and then I would buy and mount the bulkhead connectors.

Any ideas on a commercial source for such a beast or should I plan on having it made?

toastycookies

Check out the electrical section at your closest home depot or lowes. I am sure you can find a box that'll work for you and just drill out the holes yourself.

prcguy

I've used these L-Com panels to make various patch panels. They come in several sizes and this one is 2RU with two rows of 16 holes that will accept some chassis mount BNCs and you can enlarge the holes for N type. The D holes are nice and a D type chassis connector drops in so all the bayonet nubs are all lined up the same and it keeps the connector from rotating in the hole. The price is also very reasonable.
3.50" Panel (Black), 32 0.5" D-Holes - PR35-32BLK
prcguy

n0nhp

I replaced the window pane in my window with acrylic, stuck on some copper flashing tape, and now when I need a pass through, I drill the appropriate size hole and put a bulkhead mount for the appropriate connectors in and I am good to go. The acrylic does not have the insulating properties of a double pane window but it is good enough into the shack that is usually too warm anyhow.
Right now I think I have about 10 coax and one rotator cable through the window.
I think if I were to do it again, I might get some sheet aluminum or copper rather than the flashing to handle more current to ground through the lightning arrestors but I was in a hurry and had the parts on hand to make it work. One of those "I'll get it going and do it right another day" projects and the other day has not come around three years later.
The MFJ panel is stainless sheet on either side of MDF and if water comes down the cables it will swell and come apart.

Bruce

n5ims

Just make your own using the appropriate bulkhead adapters (links below). Also, get some appropriate sized hole punches to make your holes into the metal panel. Drilling (without a good drill press anyway) in 1/4" (or even 1/8") thick steel isn't easy and getting all the holes in line even less easy. The punch will give you very clean holes which drilling won't come close to. The "L" shaped steel would allow you to secure it better into a window or whatever if desired. The flat plate might be better for a direct wall mounting.

To finish once you've punched all the holes, just clean it properly and use standard spray paint (designed for metal!) to protect. Label using those typical label maker strips for a nice clean look. Using the clear strips with contrasting colored letters will make it look quite professional.

N - Coaxial Bullet Adapter, Type N-Female / Female 1/4" Bulkhead - AXA-NFNFB2
UHF - Double UHF Female Bulkhead Connectors
BNC - Economy Coaxial Adapter, BNC Bulkhead Adapter, Grounded - BA1087E

Hole punch (Yes, these are expensive, but have a much better picture. You can find them for much less by shopping around!) - Greenlee - 36506 - 36282 Punch/36279 Die/00042 Draw Stud 16 GA Mild Steel 1-7/32In. Dia. Punch Unit - Allied Electronics

Steel panel - Everbilt 3 in. x 36 in. Plain Steel Flat Bar-800227 - The Home Depot
or L shaped - Crown Bolt 2 in. x 72 in. Plain Steel Angle with 1/8 in. Thick-42110 - The Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.