Looking for: SMA adaptor 396T...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooivalk

I'm trying to track down a SMA adaptor for a 396t/330t. There are numerous ones available via Google search, but all have the skinny "nut" type base and not the large knurling like the SMA adaptor that comes with the radio.

Uniden has them listed, but they've been back ordered for months.

Anyone have a linky to a good SMA-BNC adaptor? TIA.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
rooivalk said:
I'm trying to track down a SMA adaptor for a 396t/330t. There are numerous ones available via Google search, but all have the skinny "nut" type base and not the large knurling like the SMA adaptor that comes with the radio.

I use the one from Universal Radio. Look for "BNCJ-SMAP" (Order #0292):
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/bncadapt.html

Taloniilm

i got this one, Universal radio) because I liked the low profile and the black color...looks good on my '396"

0292 BNCJ-SMAP SMA male to BNC female adapter. Low profile deluxe, 24k gold plated center conductor. D-BNCJ-SMAP $9.95

rooivalk

Thanks! I looked at U-R and didnt see that when I was looking around the first time.

yaesumofo

IIRC the 396 came with a sma-bnc adapter.
The one that came with the 396 is a design somewhat similar to the unit from Universal-radio.
It is very strong and I beleived it is designed for the 396.
Uniden may sell them have a look there or get this one
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/bncadapt.html
it is #0292
Yaesumofo

rooivalk said:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

yaesumofo

I wondered the same thing. the Universal-radio version (which looks identical) is also all black. Is it actually paint? It looks to be to be some sort of surface treatment almost like anodizing.
Clearly it is important to have a clear path for the center conductor. The outer part of the connector I assume is ground. I have a feeling that that paint of finish whatever it is has the potiential to raise the RF Impedance of the antenna. making it less effective.
Is this a possible negative effect?
Yaesumofo

slicerwizard said:
I assume that's nonconductive paint on an RF connector; how is that a good thing?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
For yaesumofo and slicerwizard, I think you mean the coating is conductive not non-conductive. There are lots of antenna connectors around that use an anodized black coating and it is thoroughly conductive and should not change impedance values appreciately.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scanbc780 said:
Based on the pictures it does not appear the inside is coated, where I bevieve the ground connection is also made.
I assume you meant the BNC part; BNC connectors ground (shield actually) is on the outside of connector (where the lugs are).

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
My guess is the black coating is black zinc plating, which is conductive. Unless the connector is aluminum, it wouldn't be anodized.

Last edited:

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
loumaag said:
I assume you meant the BNC part; BNC connectors ground (shield actually) is on the outside of connector (where the lugs are).

The bayonet part is part of the ground but the actual "ground or shield conductor" is the fins surrounding the white insulator on the male, which makes contact on the internal part of the female connector. Somewhat protected from the elements. These SMA adaptors are not coated internally so there is a ground no matter what you coat the outside with.

Status
Not open for further replies.