looking for suggestions on a modern mw receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevei48

First i am a ham radio opperator and have radios everywere. last count 30+ just a few
zenith transocianic 600, allied 2515, dx394, grundig g5, pro 2006 scanner, hallicrafters sx42, I will stop there. the wife will kill me if i get anymore. but what i want is a good battery operated modern mw radio. I have read many conflicting reveiws on the grundig S450DLX and also the 350 and the cc radio. I would like some input on these and suggestions on any others

Thanks Steve

nanZor

You may want to see the review of the 450 here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...views/230831-grundig-s450dlx-field-radio.html

This is NOT the quality of your old Grundig radios, so don't be surprised.

Some of the bad reviews come from those expecting 1970's construction quality from Europe, and not in tune with today's reality. Or, being surprised that the receiver is pretty sensitive and that they are getting noise from indoor appliances. QC problems on inexpensive radios are bound to show up from time to time, so keep your receipt just in case. Many seem to have an axe to grind and just want to turn the clock back to the old days. I wish things were made like that today, but alas that is not the case.

The 450 is a nice upgrade from the 350, which had unstable tuning, and was only single-conversion. The 450 solves that with precision tuning, and double-conversion. CCrane also has it's fans, but it too is made inexpensively in China.

Keeping today's reality in mind, I find the 450 quite satisfactory and I run only from batteries. On any of these radios, take it easy on the battery-door hook/hinges, as the plastic is not the hardest.

Last edited by a moderator:

majoco

Stirrer
You will note that in the very end of that review, the final choice was a Degen/Kaito 1103. Iv'e had one for years and it's never put a foot wrong.

lanbergld

Since you are soliciting opinions, allow me to put a pitch in for the Lowe HF-150. Fantastic strength on both MW and longwave, and can run on batteries. Not much antenna is needed either, in fact the less the better.

If you're talking strictly fit-into-your-pocket portable, then the Tecun PL-600 will do you real well on medium wave. I remember the first time I used it, I was getting out of state AM stations during daylight. Just by turning it on, nothing external added. I personally found it to be a better receiver than the Kaito KA-1103, which didn't impress me in any one area.

Larry

ermin

You may want to see the review of the 450 here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...views/230831-grundig-s450dlx-field-radio.html

This is NOT the quality of your old Grundig radios, so don't be surprised.

Some of the bad reviews come from those expecting 1970's construction quality from Europe, and not in tune with today's reality. Or, being surprised that the receiver is pretty sensitive and that they are getting noise from indoor appliances. QC problems on inexpensive radios are bound to show up from time to time, so keep your receipt just in case. Many seem to have an axe to grind and just want to turn the clock back to the old days. I wish things were made like that today, but alas that is not the case.

The 450 is a nice upgrade from the 350, which had unstable tuning, and was only single-conversion. The 450 solves that with precision tuning, and double-conversion. CCrane also has it's fans, but it too is made inexpensively in China.

Keeping today's reality in mind, I find the 450 quite satisfactory and I run only from batteries. On any of these radios, take it easy on the battery-door hook/hinges, as the plastic is not the hardest.

Stay away from the Grundig! The first time I changed batteries in mine the FM band is now 60 to 125 Mhz. I've tried the reset button about a dozen times but it never straightened it out.

Ermin

stevei48

Thanks for the input, i was going to pick up a 450 Radio shack had them on sale for $89 and it is only 2 miles from my house. Of course they were sold out. Universal Radio has them for $88.77 with a free book. I will call them and ask them to bench test it for me. Thanks and 73 Steve

gpsblake

I have a CCrane-SW and it's a good radio and will play a very long time off the batteries. If you don't care about sideband, this is a good choice. I had problems with the tuning knob on my Grundig 350 which I fixed by taking the unit apart and tightening up the screws on the tuner. The 350 overloads very easy. The SW will overload but the gain control helps with that.

The Tecsun PL-660 would be my choice for a portable if you want or need SSB. It's smaller then the 350, 450, or CCrane-SW. The 660 is just a darn good radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.