looking for the freq for BenFranklyn transit

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I am looking for the freq's for BenFranklyn transit in Tri-Cities Washington. I know they are in the UHF or higher freq's because the bus has a very small stubby antenna on the roof. Also I know they use a setup like the taxi cabs use. Dispatch is on 1 freq and the driver talks back on an other freq. I know this because when I ride the bus I only hear dispatch on the radio and not the drivers replying to dispatch. I have been scanning with the SCR dongles and I haven't found anything yet. I don't know if they still run analog or digital. Does anyone know the answer?

Steve

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I moved your question to the Washington forum where it will probably get more visibility.

steve-kc7byp

No that is not it. BenFranklyn Transit is the local public transit bus service here but it isn't owned by any one of the 3 cities that make up Tri-Cities or the 2 countys in the area. Franklyn County Public Utility Dist is the Power and light company for the City of Pasco and Franklyn County. Thanks for the try though.

I see you haven't received a reply.

Is this what you are looking for?

KOK320 (FRANKLIN COUNTY PUBLIC UTILITY DIST 1) FCC Callsign Details

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
They use UHF under the FCC license KNFF490, licensed to Benton County. The proper spelling of Franklin must've thrown off your search results; the search is picky that way.

steve-kc7byp

I found the info by looking up the call sign KNFF490. The following frequency's bellow are assigned to BFT. It will take me some time to sort out which frequencys are the primary dispatch and which are the primary mobile back to dispatch. The others are probably repeaters for the end of the lines in Prosser and Finly. For Dial-a-Ride (the handicap service) and the maintenance trucks that service the employee bathrooms at the transit centers and clean the 4 transit centers them selfs. All frequency's (for newbee's) are in MHZ.

transitman

I know this is an old thread however as of six weeks ago, BFT was on the Columbia Communications Inc (WNUR426) trunk system. TG's are 2049 for fixed route operations and 2050 for paratransit. Hope this helps.

steve-kc7byp

What does "TG's" stand for? And I am assuming 2049 and and 2050 are freq's.

Steve

I know this is an old thread however as of six weeks ago, BFT was on the Columbia Communications Inc (WNUR426) trunk system. TG's are 2049 for fixed route operations and 2050 for paratransit. Hope this helps.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What does "TG's" stand for? And I am assuming 2049 and and 2050 are freq's.

Steve

TG=Talk Group.

It is not a frequency, but a virtual ‘channel’

The radio system is a trunk radio system that pools all the channels, for all users. When a subscriber wants to make a call, the system assigns a frequency for the duration of the call, and directs all other radios listening to the same Talk Group to the frequency it assigns for the call.

You will have to determine the type of trunk system, and program your scanner as required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve-kc7byp

Well that will have to wait until I can afford a digital scanner. There is a project that I am working on. There is a free prog at https://www.proscan.org/ that allows a digital scanner to live stream over the internet what ever the scanner picks up. There was one of those live streaming digital scanners here in Kennewick, WA picking up Benton county fire, sheriff, and Kennewick PD and fire, the only server in the state of WA. There was a large grass fire this summer south of town that burned down 5 homes. The server for the for this setup went offline during the fire and hasn't been back online since. My gold is to put up a new server. I already got a good deal on a used rebuilt pc tower that has enough memory and hard drive space to do this proj on OS Win7 Home ether 32bit or 64bit, I have both install cd's. I was told not to try it on my Dell Inapiron 15-3541 laptop because the laptop can't take the strain of been online and running 24/7. I just don't know if I should load 32bit or 64bit when the time comes. This is a new proj for me. Any help and advice is very welcome.

TG=Talk Group.

It is not a frequency, but a virtual ‘channel’

The radio system is a trunk radio system that pools all the channels, for all users. When a subscriber wants to make a call, the system assigns a frequency for the duration of the call, and directs all other radios listening to the same Talk Group to the frequency it assigns for the call.

You will have to determine the type of trunk system, and program your scanner as required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve-kc7byp

I never heard of Nexedge trunking system. Benton county and the cities within run on a project 25 phase 2 trunking system. I also don't know a lot about trunking systems. When I was working on 2 way radios, tv's and early vcr's. There wasn't anything like trunking systems. Like the taxi cabs used 2 freq's. The dispatch tx on 1 freq and the cab's tx on an other freq to dispatch.. the cab's could only hear the dispatch and could not talk cab to cab. And 1 of the hottest ham radio hf transceivers on the market at the time was the Yeasu FT-101. That should give you an idea of when I worked on radios, tv's and so on. I retired when surface mount parts were just starting to hit the market. I couldn't hold the soldering iron still, micro tremors in my hands. I was mess up to many radios and so on.

Oops, forgot to add. The trunk system is Nexedge. Other data (if needed), 4800 Baud, Random 4.

RBMTS

The "Columbia" Nexedge system is a commercial system. It is totally different than the Benton County P2 system. Nexedge is a digital voice system. It can be monitored on some of the newer scanners that offer Nexedge compatibility.

TransitMan - Thanks for the info about BFT. I updated the RR DB to reflect the information. Much appreciated.

steve-kc7byp

Can someone please tell me what would be a good digital scanner to get that will do both the Nexedge sys for BFT and the Benton county P2 sys. Also be a price that won't break the bank. I live on SSDI.

A PS. I don't care if the scanner is new or used. I also don't care about looks like dings or scratches. I also can do minor repairs. My nephew is good with a soldering iron. I have been teaching him.

The "Columbia" Nexedge system is a commercial system. It is totally different than the Benton County P2 system. Nexedge is a digital voice system. It can be monitored on some of the newer scanners that offer Nexedge compatibility.

TransitMan - Thanks for the info about BFT. I updated the RR DB to reflect the information. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

RBMTS

Uniden & Whistler make scanners that would monitor both formats (plus DMR). But they won't be cheap. It would be best if you looked at the WIKI for information about the different models and which might be best for you.

Another option would be to go with an SDR. You can get some of those fairly cheap but then you need to install and configure the software to do what you want. And you'd be locked into monitoring a single frequency / system at a time. The configuring and programming of the add-on software can have a steep learning curve.

steve-kc7byp

It depends on what you mean by "won't be cheap" can you please give me some model numbers to look up. I mite be able to find them on eBay.

Uniden & Whistler make scanners that would monitor both formats (plus DMR). But they won't be cheap. It would be best if you looked at the WIKI for information about the different models and which might be best for you.

Another option would be to go with an SDR. You can get some of those fairly cheap but then you need to install and configure the software to do what you want. And you'd be locked into monitoring a single frequency / system at a time. The configuring and programming of the add-on software can have a steep learning curve.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
……. I was told not to try it on my Dell Inapiron 15-3541 laptop because the laptop can't take the strain of been online and running 24/7. I just don't know if I should load 32bit or 64bit when the time comes. This is a new proj for me. Any help and advice is very welcome.

I have Dell laptops that have been on for years - continuously.
Someone is giving you bad advice.
It is always good to have it on one of those things with fans, or at least prop it up for best ventilation.

32bit vs 64bit - this depends on what processor you have, the programs you use/plan to use.
Generally 64bit is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.