Looking to get into Shortwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Im still trying to learn everything any advice or tips to keep in mind?
Well, for starters, you PMed me a question about antennas back on April 21st and I replied with a few suggestions and asked you a question back so I could better help you figure out exactly what you'd need for your environment. Still waiting for your reply.
How can folks accurately advise you when you won't give back even a tiny bit of a hint as to your situation there?
W2XQ was trying to gain some of this kind of info from you back in post #3...it'd surely help you more effectively if you would try and give folks here more info on stuff we need to know in order to point you in the right direction.

DeepBlue

While I agree on the R-71a potentials, a working one with or without the Piexx board is a catch, if working correctly. I have heard my first ever Longwave broadcasts from Europe (Medi One) this past few years in the winter with my RF Systems DX-10 pro active antenna ever, with a tuned up (by me following the book) R-71a. It is the only radio I will never let go of.

As for the batteries on the memory board, well documented procedures for replacing those. Easy actually, or go Piexx.

Sean

shawnr0007

I have been researching everybody's response to my question sorry I work a lot of weird hours I wasn't able to get the Icom radio. However I did find a New in box Grundig 750 I have put up my own long wire its 100ft about 30ft in the air I think I am getting a pretty good signal nut im not sure lol is there a way to tell also I ran a ground to my nearest cold water pipe from the radio is this a correct method. Ridgescan I didn't mean a disrespect thank you everybody for you help and suggestions

ridgescan

I have been researching everybody's response to my question sorry I work a lot of weird hours I wasn't able to get the Icom radio. However I did find a New in box Grundig 750 I have put up my own long wire its 100ft about 30ft in the air I think I am getting a pretty good signal nut im not sure lol is there a way to tell also I ran a ground to my nearest cold water pipe from the radio is this a correct method. Ridgescan I didn't mean a disrespect thank you everybody for you help and suggestions
I didn't take it as disrespect-it's just that you're not the first one in here who presents a vague scenario to work with. It just gets a little annoying.
Example: so now we see you've made some moves on your own. I again have some questions.
1. How are you "feeding" your 100' wire? Do you have it directly connected to your radio's antenna terminal?
2. How did you connect the ground?
3. Or are you using a coax feedline with the coax braid grounded to that water pipe?
4. Do you know where in the shortwave bands to find stuff and when?

So for starters, tonight, try these frequencies (in kHz):
4840 through 5085, 5830 through 6200, 7200 through 7850, 9200 through 10000. These are all broadcast bands that come in good in our evening/night hours.

Wanna try some SSB? (in kHz) These are Ham bands:
3600 through 4000 LSB
7130 through 7300 LSB

Here are a few utility frequencies all in USB:
6754, 6604, 6501, 8891, 10051, 4011, 11175, 4724.

At least these I listed will whet your appetite for starters:)

shawnr0007

Hey Ridgescan
Thanks for the Starter Frequencies.

1 The feed line is 100ft of galvanized wire with insulators on both ends with a 50ft of 12guage copper wire running to the what I call speaker connection on the side of the Grundig
2 the ground is just a insulated wire run from the negative (speaker plug) not sure what the proper name is for these type of connections. it is then ran to my cold water pipe of my water heater and is secured by a grounding clamp
3 Is a coax feedline better then my current?
4 I found a website called Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH ever heard of it?

ridgescan

Hey Ridgescan
Thanks for the Starter Frequencies.

1 The feed line is 100ft of galvanized wire with insulators on both ends with a 50ft of 12guage copper wire running to the what I call speaker connection on the side of the Grundig
2 the ground is just a insulated wire run from the negative (speaker plug) not sure what the proper name is for these type of connections. it is then ran to my cold water pipe of my water heater and is secured by a grounding clamp
3 Is a coax feedline better then my current?
4 I found a website called Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH ever heard of it?
What you call "the feedline" is in fact the "radiating element"...in other words, the "antenna". The 100' galvanized wire is combining, in spite of the insulators, with the 50' copper #12 wire to actually be a 150' antenna.
The insulated wire to the pipe is what they call "the counterpoise", which is something the 150' antenna needs to "work against".
How's the noise ratio on your radio with your setup? If you have a lot of static, that antenna setup is probably picking up a bunch of stuff from your home.
In my opinion, running some good, shielded coax from the 750 to the 100' antenna...the center conductor of the coax to that 100' wire, and the outer "shield" of the coax going to your water pipe ground, would give you a MUCH better signal-to-noise ratio. This is because with that proper "feedline" hookup, the coax is "protecting" the incoming desired shortwave signals more than your current "wide open" type of hookup.

Boombox

100 feet of wire should do the job OK, coax or no coax. The main question is what are you hearing? Anything?
Also, be careful with that antenna in thunderstorm season. Unplug that antenna and ground it when not using it, and do not use it when there are thunderstorms in the area. It will fry your radio.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a completely separate forum for HF receive antenna questions, however this is the gold standard - don't go to fleaBay when you can get the EF-SWL PAR antenna...

Par Electronics EF-SWL, LNR Precision EF-SWL End Fed Dipole SWL Antenna. Par EF-SWL.

If you want to change the 45 foot wire, that's no problem. The transformer is configurable to several different methods, and it will take experimentation to find the one that works best in your area...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
running to the what I call speaker connection on the side of the Grundig

There's a perfectly good "Ext Ant" socket on the back. Don't forget to flick the switch to "Ext".

Status
Not open for further replies.