Looking to get into the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodSpeed13

New here and looking to get into the hobby. I am mainly in linn county and would like to know what I need to listen to mpd,crpd, and other municipal frequencies. Heard about a new system and did not know what this affected.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The newest scanner from Uniden is the Home Patrol 1. It is geared for the less technical people in the hobby. Basically you plug in your zip code into the scanner and it automatically loads the frequencies for the zip code you entered.

The newest scanner for the advanced users are the 996xt(base/mobile) and the 396xt(handheld).

As of right now, the three scanners listed above will receive all the public safety and public works that are in Linn County.

There are other scanner manufacturers, but I'm only familiar with Uniden products.

Tim

GodSpeed13

Sorry, I should have phrased my question a little bit better. Basically what are the requirments of a scanner to be able to hear mpd and crpd? Such as digital, p25 capable, apco capable, and what should I be look at for features of a scanner. I do not need anything fancy preferably the most basic system that would work.

timkilbride

Database Admin
You need a scanner that will do analog, P25 conventional(State Patrol/DOT), and trunk tracking on a digital TRS.

The most basic from Uniden would be a 996t(base) or 396t(handheld). Both have nice features, but the xt line has more.

If you want a no hassle, no programming scanner, get a Home Patrol 1. It will monitor CRPD and Marion.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.