looking to purchase another scanner , need input ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

BITT211

between UNIDEN BCD536HP OR WHISTLER TRX2 - WHICH WOULD YOU PICK FOR THE BEST , CONVENTIONAL P25 DIGITAL RECEPTION , thanks for reply

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think that only matters if you are rough on an sd card, doing recordings, taking it in and out all the time, etc. I don't do any recording with my scanners, and I program them all with sd card inside the radio, and I have never yet had to replace a corrupted sd card. I have a friend who does nothing BUT record with his scanners, and he has to replace his cards periodically. Just what I have observed.

JD
kf4anc

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I think that only matters if you are rough on an sd card, doing recordings, taking it in and out all the time, etc. I don't do any recording with my scanners, and I program them all with sd card inside the radio, and I have never yet had to replace a corrupted sd card. I have a friend who does nothing BUT record with his scanners, and he has to replace his cards periodically. Just what I have observed.

JD
kf4anc
I'm new to scanners, actually haven't bought one yet. Was waiting for the SDS200 to be available and I will likely let a little time pass to see if there are issues right off the bat before I do buy it. Do these scanners require a card to operate? Or does the card just provide certain other capabilities?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm new to scanners, actually haven't bought one yet. Was waiting for the SDS200 to be available and I will likely let a little time pass to see if there are issues right off the bat before I do buy it. Do these scanners require a card to operate? Or does the card just provide certain other capabilities?

The SD card is required for operation. No need to be concerned with using a scanner that uses an SD card... just keep a spare card or 2 on hand and copy the files from the one you are currently using onto a spare. In the event that the card in the scanner becomes corrupt, just power down and swap it out with your spare copy, and you will be up and running again in a matter of seconds. Even if you didn't make a copy of your current card, you can use Sentinel to write all your files to a new card and recover very quickly that way. Really isn't a big deal at all.... and certainly nothing that should keep you from buying a scanner that uses SD cards.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, you need the sd card. Just think, this little card puts the entire US/Canada frequency database into your radio, along with your personal programming and preferences/settings. Always backed up with the programming software (Sentinel). As fxdscon stated, if you use Sentinel, you will always have a complete backup of your radio's programming. Write To Scanner, and you are back up in minutes.

JD
kf4anc

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need the sd card. Just think, this little card puts the entire US/Canada frequency database into your radio, along with your personal programming and preferences/settings. Always backed up with the programming software (Sentinel). As fxdscon stated, if you use Sentinel, you will always have a complete backup of your radio's programming. Write To Scanner, and you are back up in minutes.

JD
kf4anc

I see. So I guess the radio uses it's GPS location information to select frequencies from the card. Makes sense.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, and when programming, location settings and range are essential and very important for reception to nail down systems you want to hear. I use my home gps coordinates and set my range at 30 miles and I hear everything I want to hear.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Makes sense in a base station environment. I plan to use the scanner entirely in a mobile installation so I figured the GPS capability was the best way to go. I assume the zip code controlled systems would require stopping and entering zip codes as I traveled. Not convenient.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah, that's how I have done it for awhile now when traveling in the RV, and it can be tedious. But, if I were to just go by gps when traveling I never know who or what I am listening to and that can be frustrating. I take the time and map out my route and set each pertinent zipcode with systems and TGs I want to hear and the tedious pays off. I set Favorites and Scan lists for each stop and toggle as I go. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks ;)

JD
kf4anc

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
You have a system to specifically target what you want to hear as you travel.

Question: Would the GPS based method be "good enough" overall? Albeit not perfect of course.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah you can narrow it down by service types that you want to hear (law, fire, law dispatch, etc) when in gps mode, but you will get anything and everything in that range and sometimes too much to know who you are listening to.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
BITT211 - I Disagree with Ka3aa and KB4MSZ. I find the SD card scanners like the 1090 Series and the TRX scanners (all Whistler), to be more Reliable and they have the Latest Software, Furthermore you cant Upgrade a 1065 to DMR. When you buy a 1095/1098 scanner from Whistler , it comes with EZ Scan and the Entire USA/Canada Database on SD. You can send in a 1095/1098 Scanner to Whistler for an Legacy Upgrade and gain DMR as well as be able to use the TRX EZ Scan software. If you send in a TRX Scanner , you can get NXDN for FREE.
the 1090 Series scanners will Prove to be Better, overall. and less of a Problem of Future Proofing your Scanner. Again the 1065 scanner Does NOT use EZ scan and it cant be Updated for more modes.
One other thing to consider , Whistler is set to Release TWO new scanner in Q1 2019, they will feature Bluetooth Audio as well as being able to Receive Phase 2 Simulcast Better, they will be full price however, you can find Whistler 1098 on Clearence for $399.

Ubbe

How are you gonna use the scanner? Mobile or at home? Driving short trips in the neighbourhood or out of state? Are there are couple of systems that you're setting your sights on?

Generally the 536 are of a higher quality in both performance, looks and user interface and adds automatic location control to wide area scanning by its GPS capability. If the systems you are going to monitor mobile are of simulcast types then it's probably better to wait for the SDS200 to see what users says about its performance.

/Ubbe

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the SDS200 is what I was thinking about. From what I have heard about it so far, it is the most capable. I want a "no expense spared" mobile unit with the most protocols possible.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Unless you plan on monitoring simulcast systems, I would suggest the Uniden BCD996P2 as it supports Phase 2 systems and can be found for a decent price used on ebay or over $100 less than the 536HP new.

N8IAA

between UNIDEN BCD536HP OR WHISTLER TRX2 - WHICH WOULD YOU PICK FOR THE BEST , CONVENTIONAL P25 DIGITAL RECEPTION , thanks for reply

TRX-2. It will work better on your conventional P-25. It also includes NXDN and DMR for the conventional that is also being used in your county. No Phase II trunking in Erie county, NY according to the RR database.
And if you don't care about the NXDN/DMR, the Whistler 1065 will work on all the P-25 conventional at a MUCH lower cost. Common sense needs to prevail.

Why does no one do any research to help with the question like the OP asked. Everyone just jumps on the Uniden bandwagon. Are there no researchers left on this site?? Or, just a bunch of kangaroos?

Larry

mule1075

Feed Provider
You can send in a 1095/1098 Scanner to Whistler for an Legacy Upgrade and gain DMR as well as be able to use the TRX EZ Scan software. If you send in a TRX Scanner , you can get NXDN for FREE.

Here you go with posting nonsense again. You do not have to send any of these scanners in to Whistler for upgrades. Please stop with the misinformation. The only scanners needed to be sent in for the legacy upgrade are the GRE PSR800 and Radio Shack models PRO-18 and 668.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
i would get something that does not depend on a sd card to operate and get corrupted easily.

I find all this talk about the hazards of using an SD Card based scanner interesting.

I've had a 536HP installed in my vehicle since they were first released and I've never had a corrupted card. I try to shut it off before starting my vehicle but I usually forget and I'm reminded by the incredibly loud static burst as the scanner resets. Once it resets, it powers back up and away it goes.

Even if the card was corrupted, a quick reformat and refresh with Sentinel would get me back up and running.

Perhaps others are experiencing corruption but my experience is that SD Card based scanners are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.