looking to purchase another scanner , need input ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Why does no one do any research to help with the question like the OP asked.

Because systems are not frozen and static for all future time. Systems are upgraded to new formats and new systems are put up and you will need a full capable scanner, or need to get another one in a short time span. So why not be prepared for the future.

But you are right about the OP's need, only best non trunked P25 performance from TRX-2 or BCD536HP where asked for. Maybe a communication receiver like Icom or AOR would do better in P25 conventional than the scanners but that was not an option.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Because systems are not frozen and static for all future time. Systems are upgraded to new formats and new systems are put up and you will need a full capable scanner, or need to get another one in a short time span. So why not be prepared for the future.
There are methods to use to determine if your local system or systems are migrating to new technology, even if it's only in the discussion phase. Check the website for your local PD or, in the OP's case, the Erie County Sheriff, for any mention of an intended change in their communication systems. Search the websites for your regional municipalities for the agenda/minutes of planning boards. Scan archived newspaper articles for any relevant information. These methods panned out here in Albany County where our Sheriff made no secret of his desire to combine the county's radio communications into a singular P25 system. That system is now well on it's way to a completed buildout.

All that said, I believe the OP would be safe with any GPS-capable, SD card-equipped, Phase 2 scanner. Communications technology may change over time, but local governments are generally slow to adapt and both the Uniden and Whistler should be useful for years to come.

N8IAA

All that said, I believe the OP would be safe with any GPS-capable, SD card-equipped, Phase 2 scanner. Communications technology may change over time, but local governments are generally slow to adapt and both the Uniden and Whistler should be useful for years to come.

I'm sure that since the OP hasn't replied back and has seen all the talk about SD card scanners. With that in mind, a basic scanner like the Whistler 1065, since he did ask about base/mobiles, would work like a champ on conventional P-25. Great way to start with something basic.
We need to wait and see how the OP responds without getting our panties in a bunch.

Larry

bob550

Premium Subscriber
He also stated with the most protocols DMR, NXDN P25 and Phase 2 Post #16
Um, KB4MSZ to whom you refer is not the OP. All the OP is looking for is an opinion as to whether the Uniden 536HP or Whistler TRX-2 would work best for him. There are probably several on this forum who own both and are best qualified to answer his question. Even then, given the variables involved in radio reception, it's probably a coin toss.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, to the OPs prompting for a suggestion, the TRX-2 would probably cover all his bases for modes and such, as DMR/NXDN is already included in the package, or if he wants to pay for the DMR/NXDN upgrades, the BC536HP is also an excellent radio. It is a coin toss, for sure. I am totally objective as to which brand to suggest, as I happen to like both Uniden and Whistler. My panties have no wrinkles ;)

JD
kf4anc

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well as mentioned by the tight wads the phase 1 only scanner does not meet what the OP asked. I do own all 4 mentioned either of what the OP asked about will work for them it is just what the OP is wanting in a scanner.

Ubbe

I only have the Marines that guard the U.S. Embassy that use P25 and that's only very short radio checks that doesn't let me compare TRX-2 and BCD536 for best decoding quality.

But the Whistler have problems in VHF high with some kind of intermod even at moderate signal levels and the UHF sensitivity seems to be down compared to Uniden. Also 800MHz range are a smidgen worse than Uniden. I are also against the huge hysteres of the squelch, the difference between open and close of the SQ which will make the TRX-2 sensitivity even worse. The USB function are questionable and the long initialising time at power on are annoying. The recording function and loudspeaker audio quality are better than Uniden and there's an IF out that can be used as an extremly good discriminator-out for further external decoding. If I only where allowed to use one scanner it would be the 536. It feels as you are working with the scanner and the TRX-2 feels as if you work against its many quirks. I really hope that Whistler surprise us this early summer with their new lineup.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/trx-2-performamce-on-70-87mhz.382404/post-3059551

/Ubbe

hokiewheeler

Is there somewhere that I can find a comparison between the uniden and whistler models? I'm looking for something to monitor simulcast systems. The SDS 100 is more than I want to spend at this time. I've been looking at the 436, 325P2 or 996 P2. I have Marcs, Medina County/Parma Ohio, Summit and Stark in mind as well as the Greater Cleveland system. Not sure on ProVoice, NXDN or DMR. Amazon has some decent sales running right now on the Unidens.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 You are reading the best there is IN THE FIELD USERS.
#2 The only scanner on the market for simulcast systems is the SDS100 SDS200 SCANNER or a Unication G4 or G5 PAGER that is your only choices for now as Whistler has said a scanner is coming no other info but their price should be close to the SDS scanners. Others say they get something else to work but it is fixed and not very mobile as it is a beam antenna or something in a fixed position.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Is there somewhere that I can find a comparison between the uniden and whistler models? I'm looking for something to monitor simulcast systems. The SDS 100 is more than I want to spend at this time. I've been looking at the 436, 325P2 or 996 P2. I have Marcs, Medina County/Parma Ohio, Summit and Stark in mind as well as the Greater Cleveland system. Not sure on ProVoice, NXDN or DMR. Amazon has some decent sales running right now on the Unidens.
If you are wanting to monitor P25 Simulcast systems, the Uniden SDS100/200 and Unication G4/G5 pagers are the only reliable choices at the moment. Any other model scanner will give you variable results from great to terrible depending on your location relative to the Simulcast towers (and other factors). They are simply not designed to pick up transmissions simultaneously from multiple towers.

hokiewheeler

What would you buy if you had 3 to 400 bucks to spend? Nothing is an acceptable answer too. I haven't been able to listen to anything for about 10 years because digital has just been out of the price range. A lot of the PD's here are encrypted too. The county I live in is transitioning now or possibly already has. The analog is either quiet or nothing but noise.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
What would you buy if you had 3 to 400 bucks to spend?
Current Amazon pricing on the 436HP seems to be significantly lower than other retailers. This scanner would be within your budget, and offer the best performance for the money. You have expressed interest in monitoring a wide variety of systems. As you've found, many of those agencies are now using digital P25 and among those, some are Simulcast systems. As has been suggested, it's not impossible to receive Simulcast using a 436HP. But it may be a challenge. There are just too many variables for us to be able to predict whether you will or not have trouble.

I have found that digital is not as forgiving as analog had been. The conditions under which you can successfully receive a P25 signal are more restrictive than for analog. Part of the reason for that is the prevalence of using the 800 MHz band. Signals at those frequencies are more easily disrupted by weather, and natural and man-made obstructions. Adjusting to this has been a learning experience.

hokiewheeler

I think I am going to pick up a 436 if that sale holds out another week. I've been looking at that and the 325P2 but that one seems to get mixed reviews.

Bob1955

between UNIDEN BCD536HP OR WHISTLER TRX2 - WHICH WOULD YOU PICK FOR THE BEST , CONVENTIONAL P25 DIGITAL RECEPTION , thanks for reply
Uniden Bearcat 536HP by far. Whistler quality very poor and gets RF problems too. I still don't think that the Bearcat BCD996P2 is that bad either. Uniden America Corporation is the LARGEST scanner manufacturer in the world with headquarters in Texas. Whistler is in Arkansas if I'm not mistaken. It is the old GRE America.

Status
Not open for further replies.