Los Angeles Area Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend who is sight impaired. I recently programmed his scanner for a visit in the LA area. When he came back he advised me that LA Sheriff and LAPD are encrypted. He complained about the beeps and only hearing the dispatcher. I remember the beeps being a marker tone on the sheriff channels something the sheriff department has done forever so I assume that is what he was talking about. He said he never heard LAPD at all which made him think they are 100% encrypted. So I am just asking in this forum, are either agencies the sheriff or LAPD encrypted reference dispatch?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend who is sight impaired. I recently programmed his scanner for a visit in the LA area. When he came back he advised me that LA Sheriff and LAPD are encrypted. He complained about the beeps and only hearing the dispatcher. I remember the beeps being a marker tone on the sheriff channels something the sheriff department has done forever so I assume that is what he was talking about. He said he never heard LAPD at all which made him think they are 100% encrypted. So I am just asking in this forum, are either agencies the sheriff or LAPD encrypted reference dispatch?

Nope.

PaulNDaOC

Does your friend have a radio that covers P25 (digital)? He will need that to hear LAPD.

Station51

LA

The LA Sheriffs dispatch continues to use the "beep beep" to indicate that the freq is in use and only dispatch can be heard unless they open a "patch" for a crime broadcast by unit in the field. (Been that way for about 40 years that I can recall)

LAPD is not encrypted however they ARE on P25 so if your friend's scanner isn't P25 capable he wouldn't have heard anything..

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for the response. It is what I expected but I just wanted to confirm before I talk to him. Yes his scanner is P25 capable but due to his sight impairment he may not have opened the LAPD file. I suspect he only had the sheriff file opened. Thanks again!

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Neither is encrypted. LAPD is P25, but not encrypted.

LASO has used the beeper forever. Nothing has changed there. You only hear the dispatch, unless the patch is enabled, thus putting the system in repeater mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.