Loudoun-West Virginia Interop Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I see WV's view because if they give the key to access the WVIRP, they would possibly be able to access everything on the state system including US Marshals, US Military, Federal Protective Service, and FBI.

What about a patch from Jefferson's WVIRP to an analog 800Mhz freq for Loudoun and/or a patch from Loudoun's system to an analog 400MHz freq for Jefferson? Or, Jefferson patch the TG assigned to an analog VHF freq (like 155.28MHz) and Loudoun patch that freq to the assigned Loudoun TG?

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I see WV's view because if they give the key to access the WVIRP, they would possibly be able to access everything on the state system including US Marshals, US Military, Federal Protective Service, and FBI.
This is hogwash. Loudoun has the system keys for everything else around here, including the Farifax 552B system which has USMS and ICE and other users on it. I think they are big boys and a) will only program what they are supposed to, b) they wont be able to hear anything more or less than they can hear with a scanner, c) if the WV sys admins only want them on certain talkgroups that can be forced at the controller level.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
This is hogwash. Loudoun has the system keys for everything else around here, including the Farifax 552B system which has USMS and ICE and other users on it. I think they are big boys and a) will only program what they are supposed to, b) they wont be able to hear anything more or less than they can hear with a scanner, c) if the WV sys admins only want them on certain talkgroups that can be forced at the controller level.

Well, excuse me. Notice I said "would possibly". Jesus Christ; people need to calm down. I thought this was a hobby?

Last edited:

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Mike - my comment was more intended for the WV state and locals. It was a great article but you have to read between the lines and understand what is going on.

In my opinion, when one county or the other decides or makes a decision that doesnt allow another county to program radios for use on adjacent jurisdictions systems/talkgroups/channels, it doesnt impact the neighboring county it imacts the decision making govt because now the neighbor wont come help you. You've just screwed yourself.

Its happening more and more as new systems come online, and its all hogwash. These are responsible government agencies, not joe volunteer asking for access to a system. Bottom line it may sound like Loudoun is making the decision here, but WV is the one that fouled things up.

jim202

Well we have another fine example of agencies not using the national interoperability channels for incidents just like this. We can provide the means to communicate, the equipment to do it with, but will never climb over the major hurdle of the politics on how it will ever happen.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Well we have another fine example of agencies not using the national interoperability channels for incidents just like this. We can provide the means to communicate, the equipment to do it with, but will never climb over the major hurdle of the politics on how it will ever happen.

Second sentence well said, jim202.

Unfortunately, only going by what the article stated simplex didnt seem to do it for this situation and I don't know of any infrastructure for the national interoperability channels in western loudoun or eastern Jefferson.

Maybe mike_s104 can comment on any NIFOG repeaters in jefferson?

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I don't think interop channels are the goal here. Cooler heads will eventually figure this out. It would make no sense for Loudoun to build a network of conventional repeaters on UTACs, and Jefferson do the same on 8TACs, and have them both provide in building portable coverage that the trunked systems already provide.

freqhopping

An update from the Leesburg Today paper that doesn't seem to be posted online yet-

The WV State Interoperability Committee approved a memo of understanding that would allow multiple people to be approved and trained as programmers without WV background checks, but with a Loudoun one. If the MOU remains the notice to end mutual aid, that would be sent on Nov 15, will not be sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.