Low Band VHF IN 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
44.58 is BNSF's ELOS data system. If you put your scanner in AM mode and open the squelch you might hear extremely short data bursts if there are any in your area or the band is open.

This is a system that actually uses meteor burst propagation to carry high reliability traffic. ELOS stands for Extended Line Of Sight, and uses whatever it takes to get through... forward scatter, E layer, meteor trails, whatever works. The low band frequency is critical to it's success.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
I am in Delaware County right outside Philadelphia we use low band for county wide fire dispatch and ems dispatch. We also have a county wide Ema and county wide fire police low band channel. But those aren't used as much. City of Philadelphia haste system uses a low band frequency for trauma alerts to hospitals also.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
@captaincab

Do you hear much on the Philly Hospital Alert frequency? I have it punched in my base radio and because their is no PL all I get is a near by bus company.

ipfd320

Banned
Martin County Florida--VHF--154.010---Used for Tone Out Dispatch and Then the Units and Dispatch go to the Slers System--(800)

Not That Much Low Band Down in These Parts----Back Up In Long Island 46.100 (Nassau County) for Tone Outs--Uhf for Fire Ops

46.460--(Suffolk County) Tone Outs---Uhf for Fire Ops But I Hear Things are Changing for Suffolk

quarterwave

From research I have done several times in assisting with licensing and spectrum issues, and from tracking frequency and system changes in counties local to me, I see another reason why there are still a lot of licenses "active", at least in the FCC DB.

At the administrative level in public safety / local government, and even companies like the one I worked for and took lead in narrow-banding and audit on their systems a few years ago, much of that happens just because "that's what we have always done". So, in more detailed example, in several instances around where I live, the county Sheriff hasn't been on LB for years, many years, don't even have radios in cars or working base stations anymore. However, on the administrative side, when the renewal comes due, they just see a radio license, they renew it and move on. There isn't thought about... "Do we still use this frequency?", they don't ask, maybe no one there knows without asking the radio shop, and usually there is no one there to discern what is what anyway.

So, many of these just get renewed because a renewal notice is sent. I asked, and that was the answer I got in a couple of cases with LB licenses.

The company I helped 4-5 years ago with their VHF was simply going to renew an IMTS and Paging license. The IMTS base had been off air for 6-7 years, and the paging base had not been used for at least 4 years as the encoder blew up and they were switching to employee cell phones anyway. So there again, just do what we always did. I subsequently cleaned that up, cancelled the licenses, narrow banded the VHF repeater they had, added a couple new splinter itinerants so they could stop using 154.570 illegally in 45 watt mobiles...and got everything on track. The repeater has extremely good coverage (even in narrow), but sadly they have few mobiles installed now, no base stations/remotes being used or hooked up and it's status as backup system to their cell phones is about lost, and no one knows what to do, or what they have since I left. Sad.

ipfd320

Banned
154.010 is VHF High band not Low Band.

Yah I Realized That After I Posted it and Your Post After Mine Made it Non Editable--Thanks for the PPD Heads Up

Looking More Into What You Said--I Searched Hi & Low and All the Searches on Fcc and Other Sites Show

Very high frequency VHF 30–300 MHz
10.0–1.0 m FM, television broadcasts, line-of-sight ground-to-aircraft and aircraft-to-aircraft communications, land mobile and maritime mobile communications, amateur radio, weather radio

Ultra high frequency UHF 300–3,000 MHz
1.0–0.1 m Television broadcasts, microwave oven, microwave devices/communications, radio astronomy, mobile phones, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, ZigBee, GPS and two-way radios such as land mobile, FRS and GMRS radios, amateur radio, satellite radio, Remote control Systems, ADSB

VHF is VHF--There is No Hi or Low Band that I Can See

Here is the Wiki-Pedia on Radio Spectrum----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Last edited:

n1gye

MSP Low Band

Mass. State Police still actively uses their low band system in Berkshire county due to the terrain. Any UHF system they've tried fails miserably in the hills (800 Motorola trunked and P25), so stations B1 and B4 (Lee and Cheshire) still use their old low band channel (42.460) as a co-primary. The P25 system seems to be a bit better with coverage, but the low band always gets through, Same thing happens in the Worcester hills with C8 small town dispatch at times. I doubt MSP will ever totally drop their low band system due to these challenges. Even their brand new cruisers are still being fitted with low band radios (the only exception seems to be Troop E which is being disbanded and metro Boston units).

Status
Not open for further replies.