Lowband P25 scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro_Spectra

Will the Whistler/Uniden digital scanners actually receive in P25 and DMR modes on lowband?

While there doesn't seem to be any use of P25/DMR on lowband, I've seen a few Chinese vendors offering 30 to 88 MHz DMR radios and I understand there is a lowband DMR system operational in France.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If the receiver is programmed correctly P25 can be received on any FM frequency. I don't know of any P25 low band systems in use. It seems that most low band users migrated to UHF. The 30-50 Mhz band was not required to switch to narrow band which was a reason why a lot of systems on the higher bands moved. You could have digital trunked systems in any band. Major low band users like the California Highway Patrol use low band for its superior range. It's doubtful that they would go digital or move to a higher band - so not much likelihood of P25 or DMR.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
P25 is a modulation & digital encoding format, and does not care about the RF frequency carrying it. Most P25 systems are UHF, but there is no reason (other than regulations and convention) they couldn't be HF if the designers wanted.

Astro_Spectra

If the receiver is programmed correctly P25 can be received on any FM frequency...

P25 is a modulation & digital encoding format, and does not care about the RF frequency carrying it...

Thanks guys, I was rather looking for specific confirmation that either the digital Whistler or Uniden models would actually work down that low in digital before purchasing as I won't have the chance to try in store.

Astro_Spectra

NC1, here ya go:

China P25 Trunking/P25 Conventional/Dmr/Analog Low Band Radio, 37-50MHz - China Low Band, Digital Two Way Radio

Guangzhou ComArt Communications Equipment Co. Ltd.

http://pxdz.manufacturer.globalsour...6759327/66-88MHz-DMR-Digital-Mobile-Radio.htm

YMMV who knows if these are 100% real.

An example of why I wanted to check scanner specific specs is the Wulfsberg RT-5000, while advertised as 29.7-960 MHz the P25 coverage is limited to the bands supported by the internal Motorola supplied decks. So just VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

The major p25 manufacturers Motorola and Harris have not manufactured any analog or digital base station or repeater equipment in low band for a decade or two. It is unlikely they have any interest in expanding their portfolio beyond a few mobile radio models. The big problem with low band is that portable radios do not work well with their inneficient antennas and the high noise floors encountered at sites. Most users want portable radio communications.

Astro_Spectra

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I just really wanted to know for sure if the Whistler 1098/TRX2 or the Uniden 996/536 will allow reception in digital below 88 MHz.

Golay

Handheld repeater

Thanks for the three links.
That handheld DMR repeater sounds interesting.
That's small enough to tie to some helium balloons and raise high above a special event, like a bike rally or marathon, etc.

Ubbe

It's more like 54-108 according to users manual and practical tests. The band is open in UK bandplan and possible all non-US bandplans but doesn't help much as the front end filters starts to cut reception at 60MHz and are almost fully attenuated at 88MHz.

The hardware have been baked in that hard black resin that is difficult to remove.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.