Lower 48 Traveling Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdwak

I am a trucker who operates in Alaska and western Canada. In Alaska I use the VHF-ATA frequencies under the shared license agreement. In Canada I use my modified Yaesu to listen and talk primarily on the Ladd frequencies. VHF radios are a real benefit to the trucking industry and can be critical in the safe operation of our business. Most of the drivers respect the protocol, if not always the licensing requirements of Amateur radio and keep their visiting to quiet frequencies.

My question is related to Amateur radio use in the lower 48. My wife and I take our "busman's holiday" by driving our motorhome out and touring the lower 48 in the winter. I'd like to mount the Yaesu in it to primarily monitor radio traffic and use it for traffic information, safely, and traveling info. I'm not into visiting on the radio and long ago quit CB because of the constant BS. Is there a place where I can find a list of frequencies generally used for traveling information? Also safety and Alert channels? Are these channels standardized throughout the states or do you find regional differences? I don't have a Ham license now but I'm going to try & find the time to take the test. If I occasionally use the radio for the reasons stated will I be prosecuted or left alone if I don't abuse it? Are there hot spots of enforcement? Being an Alaskan its hard to be 100% squeaky clean.

Thanks for any information and assistance provided.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I can help much but I would check GMRS- you can get a license and radio quickly and fairly painlessly. It is UHF rather than VHF but many areas of the country are active and there are even repeaters (some public, some not). See the Wiki for more information. Most hams (or amateur operators) are protective of the ham bands and will assist in tracking down unauthorized users. Getting a Technician level ham license is fairly easy but would take some time- both to study for and then find and take the exam. As a ham myself, that is what I use for traveling with CB as an alternate. GMRS is not very active here in Wyoming (or I have not heard much on the scanner).

Good luck

blue5011

"I'd like to mount the Yaesu in it to primarily monitor radio traffic and use it for traffic information, safely, and traveling info"

Better off buying and listening to a VHF/ UHF/ 800mhz scanner. Many states used "digital trunking" radios for public safety now. Smartphones have taken the "wind out of the sail" of ham repeaters nation-wide, in my opinion.

You will still need a ham license to have any radio capable of reception of police frequencies in a vehicle.

I have 3) BCD 996XT which I use to monitor Minnesota 800 ARMER system with. ALL police, fire, ems, and public safety is on the ARMER system.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Firstly, look up the laws regarding radios, and scanners mobile usage for EACH State. Some States do not care as long as your not doing illegal acts. Others you MUST have an HAM ticket to run an unit. Others you have to have an official letter on agency letterhead from the State Police/Highway Patrol agency stating you can operate scanner/radio. But overall, yes your better off getting an P25 Phase II capable scanner for several of the Statewide Trunked Radio Systems in use in the Lower 48.... Up there in AK, you also have an Statewide TRS... But unfortunately Alaska State Police are now running full time encryption, so you cant hear them at all... At least your DOT is still clear. As for running an HAM rig.. If you dont want a lot of VERY ANGRY folks looking to hang you out on the yardarms, in the lower 48, get legal with an license. Or, as has been suggested, get an GMRS, or FRS radio set up, or even get one on MURS settings. Gone gone gone are the days of it being simple running just an CB and not having to hire an hollywood pro to go BEEP BEEP BEEP every few seconds to censor all the cussing etc... LOL

N8IAA

Firstly, look up the laws regarding radios, and scanners mobile usage for EACH State. Some States do not care as long as your not doing illegal acts. Others you MUST have an HAM ticket to run an unit. Others you have to have an official letter on agency letterhead from the State Police/Highway Patrol agency stating you can operate scanner/radio. But overall, yes your better off getting an P25 Phase II capable scanner for several of the Statewide Trunked Radio Systems in use in the Lower 48.... Up there in AK, you also have an Statewide TRS... But unfortunately Alaska State Police are now running full time encryption, so you cant hear them at all... At least your DOT is still clear. As for running an HAM rig.. If you dont want a lot of VERY ANGRY folks looking to hang you out on the yardarms, in the lower 48, get legal with an license. Or, as has been suggested, get an GMRS, or FRS radio set up, or even get one on MURS settings. Gone gone gone are the days of it being simple running just an CB and not having to hire an hollywood pro to go BEEP BEEP BEEP every few seconds to censor all the cussing etc... LOL

Well, milf, I don't think he cares. He hasn't been on since the OP.
Larry

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
We wish.
OK so the ALMR P25 Phase I TRS is not statewide?

No, we're not.
Alaska Land Mobile Radio (ALMR) Trunking System, Statewide, Alaska - Scanner Frequencies
Hmm funny how every DPS STate Trooper TG I see is E? As is the Law Enforcement Mutual AId.... When did Alaska State Troopers stop running encryption? If this is so we need to be shouting from the rooftops hooray huzzah etc.... As it is very rarely an agency drops E for ITC once they go E. It does happen, but it is very rare!

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Hmm funny how every DPS STate Trooper TG I see is E? As is the Law Enforcement Mutual AId.... When did Alaska State Troopers stop running encryption? If this is so we need to be shouting from the rooftops hooray huzzah etc.... As it is very rarely an agency drops E for ITC once they go E. It does happen, but it is very rare!

A- Not every post is on the ALMR. Coverage is not even remotely close to statewide, and there are a LOT of places Troopers go without radio comms.

B- Not every TGID is encrypted, and some are not full-time. From Janurary through May of this year the unit I was in rarely, if ever used the "E" TGIDs...we ran on an analog simplex channel, "ITC".

C- We get radios here dropping "E" all the time.

Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.