Lowndes co Motorola Type 2 Smartzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

COUNTRYBORN

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro 106 that I am trying to program for Mototola Type 2 Smartzone. I have the ARC 500 programming software and have uploaded the system information from RR. I have updated my filmware on my scanner.
ver Ru2.1
DSP RU1.4
DSP VocVer 1.0

I am not picking up anything and am not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

joshuafuller

Hi Countryborn,

I'm in between Valdosta and Hahira. I normally pickup all the traffic on the Lowndes County Trunked system that includes Police and Fire. For some reason the whole system seems to have gone dark recently. I use a Uniden HP1. The trunk system now comes in with an extremely weak signal and appears to have Unit IDa of their radio maintenance group. I'm assuming that they are having some problems at this point but haven't found anything to confirm this.

COUNTRYBORN

Premium Subscriber
I was talking with someone that works at the 911 center and they told me that they changed over to a new system 3 days ago. I have been trying to reprogram my scanner with no luck.

joshuafuller

I was talking with someone that works at the 911 center and they told me that they changed over to a new system 3 days ago. I have been trying to reprogram my scanner with no luck.

Thanks for the info ! I'd like to here more about the new system.

If I find anything I'll report back.

Enjoy your weekend.

Josh

joshuafuller

I was afraid that's what happened. My trusty HP1 won't decode Phase 2. Might have to upgrade to the HP2 now. Bummer.
Thanks for the update. I tried to find the FCC listings unsuccessfully.

Josh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COUNTRYBORN

Premium Subscriber
Well that explains why i have been beating my head against the wall the last few days. Looks like i will be upgrading also. Thanks for the information.

briconellis

Don't upgrade just yet... From what I have been able to monitor the entire system is encrypted. Granted it doesn't look like all tgs are active yet, all of the ones that are have encryption in place... Sucks to be us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

joshuafuller

I was trying to get my SDR dongles to work with DSD+ to see if I could listen in to anything with those. Haven't really tackled the DSD stuff yet though.

Josh

joshuafuller

No luck so far. All I see from DSD+ is:

"Sync:p25p1 NAC:6F1 LDU1
Muting encrypted voice"

I was really really hoping that it wasn't encrypted. Guess I don't have to get that HP-2 after all :(

COUNTRYBORN

Premium Subscriber
Don't upgrade just yet... From what I have been able to monitor the entire system is encrypted. Granted it doesn't look like all tgs are active yet, all of the ones that are have encryption in place... Sucks to be us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Let us know if you figure something out. Thanks for the information i had already picked out my new scanner. I will wait until i know for sure before i waste my money.

davetyree

Premium Subscriber
so after the local guys went digital a few years ago i put my analog scanners on the shelf.
other than airshows they never got used again.
about six months ago i got a 396XT and started back listening again.

then they slam the door again....

if they are going encrypted then i guess the new one goes on the shelf too

N8IAA

No luck so far. All I see from DSD+ is:

"Sync:-P25p1 NAC:6F1 LDU1
Muting encrypted voice"

I was really really hoping that it wasn't encrypted. Guess I don't have to get that HP-2 after all :(

This tells you that it is Phase I.
Second one tells you if there is an encrypted TGID, it will be muted.
Larry

COUNTRYBORN

Premium Subscriber
RR updated there database. I shows that it is P25 Phase 2. Anybody have a scanner that will work with P25 phase 2. Is everything encrypted.

joshuafuller

My previous post that mentions the P25 Phase 1 is output from DSD+ trying to decode the stream. From the poor documentation i have found, I don't think that DSD+ can decode P25 Phase 2 yet. I'm trying to see of OP25 of something else will be able to read the Phase 2 stream for confirmation if they are encrypting or not.

I'm sure its P25 Phase 2. I'm not sure if its encrypted yet or not.

ULS Application - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked - 0006634203 - LOWNDES, COUNTY OF - Frequency Detail

The FCC license info mentioned above shows that the emissions are now coded as "9K80D7W" from the previous "20K0F9W" designation.

When looked up it is described as below:

P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation - H-DQPSK), per Motorola literature

The previous emissions where described below for the super technical people here:

"The FCC comes up with the designators in rule book CFR 47 sections 2.201 and 2.202 you come up with the following. 20K0 = occupied bandwidth of 99% of the signal IE 20 KHz. F9W the F is Frequency modulation meaning the way the information is applied to the modulator of the transmitter. The 9 means a composite signal consisting of one or more digital channels along with one or more analog channels and the W means a combination of any of the following FAX, video, data, telegraphy or telephony."

nunyax

My previous post that mentions the P25 Phase 1 is output from DSD+ trying to decode the stream. From the poor documentation i have found, I don't think that DSD+ can decode P25 Phase 2 yet. I'm trying to see of OP25 of something else will be able to read the Phase 2 stream for confirmation if they are encrypting or not.

I'm sure its P25 Phase 2. I'm not sure if its encrypted yet or not.

You're right that DSDPlus doesn't decode P25 Phase 2, only Phase 1. Also, it doesn't support trunking:

http://forums.radioreference.com/vo...-dsd-trunking-any-chance-p25.html#post2408082

Phase 2 systems are backwards compatible with Phase 1 talkgroups and a system can be a mixture of both. Odds are that they still have a lot of mobile/portables in use that can't be updated to Phase2 yet so they are using Phase 1 talkgroups.

You can use DSDPLus to find more about their talkgroups. This thread may help:

http://forums.radioreference.com/vo...talkgroup-but-not-encryption-type-key-id.html

You may need to be scanning the voice channels conventionally instead of monitoring just the control channel with DSDPlus.

Also, Unitrunker, Pro96com or other software may help with monitoring/logging the system to see what groups are encrypted.

I hope that'll help. Good luck.

joshuafuller

The combination I have been using has been two RTL SDR receivers. Unitrunker listening to the command channel and the voice channels. The voice channels are run through DSD+. Works great for all types of systems but has not been updated to P25 Phase 2. That being said I've been able to capture a lot of information about the system including apparent channels,TGIDs and RadioIDs. I was hoping to find matching talk groups from the old system but they don't appear to match.

I have not fired up Linux/OP25 combo to test out P25 Phase 2 decoding which I believe has recently worked according to a few posts.

I just want some sort of confirmation that encryption is NOT being used before I shell out money for a new Phase 2 capable scanner.

It's actually been a lot of fun discovering the other trunking systems here in Valdosta as well as how they work with this setup. There are a few that have been excluded from RR so it's the first time I've been able to listen to them.

Josh

skimnate

I can confirm with certainty that all talkgroups on the new system are encrypted.

joshuafuller

So glad I didn't order a new scanner. Also bummed that I can't hear all the excitement now. It was fun while it lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.