• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTE is coming to America's CB radio frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

Token

Another industry alliance is gearing up to pitch mobile phone spectrum access to spectrum in the 3.5 GHz band – this time using frequencies formerly devoted to Citizens Band (CB) radio users.
Following a decision by America's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to free up 150 MHz of the “truckers' Internet” for unlicensed use, industry giants have created a new group to push LTE into the band.

Errrr....what?

The CB band runs form 26.965 to 27.405 MHz, no place near the 3.5 GHz range. Further, you can't "free up" 150 MHz of spectrum in a band that only has 0.44 MHz of width.

Someone really did not fact check that piece at all.

Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) is not the same as Class D Citizens Band (CB), as used by truckers.

T!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Errrr....what?

The CB band runs form 26.965 to 27.405 MHz, no place near the 3.5 GHz range. Further, you can't "free up" 150 MHz of spectrum in a band that only has 0.44 MHz of width.

Someone really did not fact check that piece at all.

Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) is not the same as Class D Citizens Band (CB), as used by truckers.

T!

The article came from the UK.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The issue is that since the evolution of WiFi, every single network monkey thinks he's a two way radio expert. Just like ever since VoIP, every network wonk thinks he's a telecom expert.
I've run into this time after time at work.
Actually had a fairly intelligent person try and argue with me about why I was spending money on refreshing the PD radio system when all that money should have just gone into the WiFi network and the officers could have just had a WiFi handset.
Lack of understanding doesn't stop some people from talking.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the author of the Theregister article understood what he was writing about. He saw 'citizens' and 'band' in the term citizens broadband radio service and figured the news release that he was reporting on was about CB radio. It's not.

I did a search and several business related web sites have featured the same news release. The text is the same in all of them. But they didn't insert a lead paragraph discussing the citizens band.

The article is about freeing up spectrum for a new broadband service. https://www.fcc.gov/rulemaking/12-354

Token

The article came from the UK.

Yes, that is clear from the “.uk” in the URL. However that does not make it less wrong.

The article clearly is talking about things going on in the US, and it clearly talks about a rulemaking by the “American” FCC. The article is also clearly wrong in trying to tie the facts to the CB band.

There is no doubt it is talking about the 11 meter CB band being impacted by this rulemaking, however the 11 meter CB band and the services actually impacted are not the same.

In other words, the story is blatantly factually wrong for the first two sentences. And that was why I said “someone did not fact check the piece”. When it says “spectrum access to spectrum in the 3.5 GHz band – this time using frequencies formerly devoted to Citizens Band (CB) radio users”, the problem here is that the Citizens Band is not in the 3.5 GHz band. And when it says “free up 150 MHz of the “truckers' Internet” for unlicensed use” this is impossible, since the CB band does not have 150 MHz of spectrum in it.

T!

mike_gain

Hot Dang. Zat mean my new iphone 8's gonna have a Channel 9 button? Wait a minit. Aint gotta put a K40 on my phone do I?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hot Dang. Zat mean my new iphone 8's gonna have a Channel 9 button? Wait a minit. Aint gotta put a K40 on my phone do I?
. Stop Pulling the idiot chain ! We just got them to Sleep lol! :D. 73, n9zas

RFI-EMI-GUY

I recall years ago the Part 95 rules had some General Mobile spectrum set aside around 77 Ghz or so.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I recall years ago the Part 95 rules had some General Mobile spectrum set aside around 77 Ghz or so.
That's sarcasm I take it? I was always hoping it would be moved to 900-902 Mhz. :). 73, n9zas

RFI-EMI-GUY

That's sarcasm I take it? I was always hoping it would be moved to 900-902 Mhz. :). 73, n9zas
Nope:
I was off a few GHz, this is from some rather dated rules; The spectrum since auctioned:

GENERAL PROVISIONS

95.1 The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).

(a) The GMRS is a land mobile radio service available to persons for short-
distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and
their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a system consisting of
one or more stations.

(b) Any entity eligible for licensing under this subpart is eligible to obtain
an authorization in the 31.0 to 31.3 GHz band for personal communications,
provided that the technical standards applicable to the band (as set out in
Part 94) are observed. (Individuals applying for stations in the 31.0 to 31.3
GHz band for personal communications shall use application Form 402.)

Status
Not open for further replies.