ltr for pro 433

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgt7nelder

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to program LTRs for Trumbull and Mahoning counties in Ohio. So far have had no luck in picking anything up. I put in all the lcns in and have it searching for tags I also dont have tags for any of them. I trying to program in for Staley Comunications, Hi Tec Wireless, Youngstown Radio, and Dommer Comunications. I've had good luck with Austintown Hybrid, Warren Smartnet those 2 worked great and had no trouble. Of course those where motorola systems. Im really having trouble with ltrs and hoping someone can help.

bgt7nelder

Premium Subscriber
Trumbull County Businesses

All Trunked Radio Systems in Trumbull County

System Name Type City
Delphi Automotive Systems (Warren) Motorola Type II Smartnet Warren
General Motors Research (Lordstown) Motorola Type II Smartnet Lordstown
Hi-Tech Wireless LTR Standard Girard
Staley Communications LTR Standard Masury
State of Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink Statewide
United Telephone of Ohio Motorola Type II Smartnet Various
Warren Motorola Type II Smartnet Warren

This is a list of the ltrs in trumbull county out of the database from wiki. Like I said I have no problems with motorola

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I saw those & were thinking you were looking for LE / PS type, best I can say is if they are LTR standard you will have to be patieent & figure out the LCN's & listen & figure out the tags( names of each group on your own if those ar not correct in th DB, unless some in the Ohio forum knows more.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
As AlabamaRS mentioned, if you want to monitor communications on Staley (Masury) or HTW (Girard), you're going to have to figure out the layout of the system because nobody else has.

1. The LCN order on those two systems is not verified.

That system was likely set up in the DB based upon FCC data (which does not indicate which LCNs are in use and what frequencies are assigned those LCNs).

2. The systems may or may not be active

3. If the systems are active, the may contain none (unlikely) of the listed frequencies, some (likely) of the listed frequencies, or all (maybe, maybe not) of the listed frequencies.

LTR syadmins notoriously use frequencies from various licenses that they have - They like to mix and match. Just because FCC data says there are x # of frequencies for a system, that doesn't mean all of those frequencies are in use and that doesn't mean that any or all of them are in use for that system. Yes, they should be - but in the real world, things aren't nearly as predictable with LTR systems.

HTW and Staleys all have a gazillion licenses for trunked frequencies around the Ohio/PA area. In addition, Staleys bought out a lot of other companies in the Ohio/PA area and "inherited" their frequencies as well.

So you may find that the systems use a combination of frequencies from many licenses, some which may not even be directly under their name at this time.

It's a hodgepodge mess... a challenge for sure.

If it were me, and I were really antsy about seeing if these systems were active, I'd do something like this (using the Staleys system as an example):

Program 5 LTR systems. In System #1, program the frequency listed as LCN1 for ALL 20 frequencies in that system. In System #2, program the frequency listed as LCN1 for ALL 20 frequencies in that system. Repeat for System #3, System #4, and System #5.

Make sure you set those systems for open mode / ID Search / group wildcard (nomenclature is different depending upon the type of scanner).

Then scan those systems for days or weeks. Make note when you hear traffic - WHen you hear traffic, look a the display - the display will show the TGID as well as the frequency and the LCN. Once you have confirmed that frequency xxx.xxxx has the LCN of #10 (as an example), you can then go into all five systems and program LCN 10 with that frequency.

Scan for days or weeks more. When you see a new LCN active, note the frequency displayed - then go through in all five systems and set that LCN to the frequency that you have verified. Eventually you narrow things down.

Keep in mind that LCNs don't have to be consecutive - Oftentimes there are wide spaces between LCNs in use on a small system (ex: 2, 5, 10, 13, 17 may be active, all others may be inactive). This is why you have to start populating all possible LCNs with a single frequency so that you can start to determine what LCN that frequency is really assigned.

Be the first to map out one of those systems! Submit your results [only verified/confirmed info] to the RRDB so that others can benefit.

Start a thread in the Ohio Forum asking for others in the area to help you attempt to tackle those two systems. You may get some collaboration. Unfortunately, I cannot hear up into Trumbull on UHF so i can't help you - i did what I could to verify the systems in Columbiana/Mahoning, counties for which I have spotty coverage.

Mike

bgt7nelder

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, and I'll try my best. I also, listen to Mahoning county as well. Im from Mahoning and travel to Trumbull for work, so if you have any systems from mahoning, i might be able to figure it out. Tumbull and mahoning have a lot of joint forces especilly with the ambulances that do use ltrs here

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the info, and I'll try my best. I also, listen to Mahoning county as well. Im from Mahoning and travel to Trumbull for work, so if you have any systems from mahoning, i might be able to figure it out. Tumbull and mahoning have a lot of joint forces especilly with the ambulances that do use ltrs here

The Mahoning systems are listed at the bottom of the Mahoning County page in the RRDB. There is one or two that may need some updating.

Good luck . Lane Ambulance uses LTR on Mahoning - I don't remember which LTR system but you'll see the talkgroup listed under the system I'm referring to.

mike

bgt7nelder

Premium Subscriber
I started to map the systems, and so far I found 4 active frequencies. Only 2 of the show ids so far, and most of the time I see the id numbers and no sound. Im stll tring to find the matching frequencies to them. What is listed in the RRDB doesn't work. The ids listed are correct, but to other frequencies listed. It is a big mess. As I get all the LCN 1s found I'll let you guys know what I found. So far I have found a total of 33 frequencies in LTR

Status
Not open for further replies.