• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LTR Passport ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Is there ANYTHING out there... any program at all, besides that LTRtrunk/LTRdump thing where you have to have some special homebrew circuit, that will monitor LTR Passport?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

Airdorn

I wonder why?

That Eric dude did it, and I saw messages where I think he and someone else said Passport was a piece of cake.

There's a fair amount of public safety on Passport these days. I wonder why it hasnpt taken-off more?

Airdorn

Yes!

There's a local township to me that uses Passport for their public safety radio system.

Thanks

D

DaveNF2G

I thought you were looking for a computer-less solution.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Passport from regular?

How can you tell by listening?

I'm getting to the point of trying to map some systems that may become complex (with multiple sites listed to the same licensee).

How can you tell regular LTR from Passport on the air?

cubn

Database Admin
NW0U said:
How can you tell regular LTR from Passport on the air?

On the regular systems, the repeater clicks are 10-seconds apart and on the LTR Passport Systems, the repeater clicks are 2-seconds apart.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Timing the clicks?

cubn said:
On the regular systems, the repeater clicks are 10-seconds apart and on the LTR Passport Systems, the repeater clicks are 2-seconds apart.

Hmm. Are you sure about this? I'm hearing LTR-trackable systems that click ("strobe" squelch break) anywhere from 10 to 50 seconds apart and the don't have predictable regularity. (I'm just listening for audio rather than using a computer.)

Airdorn

DaveNF2G said:
I thought you were looking for a computer-less solution.

No.

I'm looking for a solution where I don't have to build-up a special mod to the discriminator tap.. or using a data slicer, or dicer, or whatever that thing is that you have to build and plug into the serial port.

Airdorn

NW0U said:
Hmm. Are you sure about this? I'm hearing LTR-trackable systems that click ("strobe" squelch break) anywhere from 10 to 50 seconds apart and the don't have predictable regularity. (I'm just listening for audio rather than using a computer.)

There's 11 LTR Standard systems around here, and they all share the same characteristic: that unique 'chirp' of open air every 10 seconds. I know it contains sub-audible audio but it sounds like a short chirp to me, like someone keying-up a radio very briefly.

In contrast to that, the single LTR Passport in my area does the keying-up every 2 seconds.

Whether its 10 seconds or 2 seconds, both systems are VERY regular.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Passport

Airdorn said:
There's 11 LTR Standard systems around here, and they all share the same characteristic: that unique 'chirp' of open air every 10 seconds. I know it contains sub-audible audio but it sounds like a short chirp to me, like someone keying-up a radio very briefly.

In contrast to that, the single LTR Passport in my area does the keying-up every 2 seconds.

Whether its 10 seconds or 2 seconds, both systems are VERY regular.

Sounds a lot like admin preference in setups.
I have a number of LTR Standard systems I'm working on. Some send CWID on each channel (very helpful), some NEVER send CWID. Some send on a few channels.

So how else can you tell it's Passport? Can you map the channels but they don't track when programmed into a scanner?

D

DaveNF2G

Airdorn said:
No.

I'm looking for a solution where I don't have to build-up a special mod to the discriminator tap.. or using a data slicer, or dicer, or whatever that thing is that you have to build and plug into the serial port.

You won't be able to avoid installing a discriminator tap in your scanner no matter what approach you use for decoding. The software requires unprocessed baseband audio.

Airdorn

DaveNF2G said:
You won't be able to avoid installing a discriminator tap in your scanner no matter what approach you use for decoding. The software requires unprocessed baseband audio.

I never said I didn't have a discriminator tap.

Airdorn

NW0U said:
Sounds a lot like admin preference in setups.
I have a number of LTR Standard systems I'm working on. Some send CWID on each channel (very helpful), some NEVER send CWID. Some send on a few channels.

So how else can you tell it's Passport? Can you map the channels but they don't track when programmed into a scanner?

Hmm, I think the CWID is different than that 10-second key-up on LTR Standard channels, or the 2-second one on Passport.

It looks like the CWID is on maybe a 10 minute timer, atleast on the LTR standard systems I monitor around here. When it happens, the channel hosting it gives some morse code and the system shows all the free channels.

slicerwizard

LTR and PassPort controllers have a number of adjustable timer settings:

- Idle Timer: controls idle bursts; 10 seconds is fairly standard for LTR home channels; 1 or 2 seconds is typical for PassPort home channels and collect channels - the fast rate is required for roaming (you can't switch to a site if you can't hear its carrier, and you ain't gonna do a strongest site search if you have to sit on each channel for 10 seconds); non home/collect channels on LTR and PassPort systems don't need to send idle bursts (Idle Timer = 0), but some operators just turn them all on

- CWID Time Interval: sets ID period; may only be legally required on one system channel, some operators enable it on all channels; the CWID character string is defined in a separate parameter

- LTR/PP Lead-in Timer: delays sending of low speed data until transmitter has stabilized after keyup; typical values are 200 to 500 ms; when timer is set too short, idle bursts get truncated and can't be decoded

There are other timers, like carrier loss delay (maintains comm during brief RX fades), PTT timer (how long a subscriber can transmit before being muted/isolated), ...

BC_Scan

hey lets call the dude what it is, that noise,or click or carrier etc, is officially called "the refresher pulse"

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Slicerwizard's answers

The 1-2 sec pulse and the reason sound pretty reliable to me.

Thanks!

(I haven't encountered this in Colorado yet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.