Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, had a working 396XT on Lucas/NW Ohio simulcast and on the Toledo MARCS site. 396XT downgrade, replaced by 396T Uniden. Control Channel programming a non-starter on MARCS or on Lucas County simulcast on the 396T. Is there a specific "Bandplan" template that I need to program in addition to dumping in control channels that worked on the 396XT, as I've got nothing? Nothing special on the other radio, but am I screwed on P25 rebanding and wasted cash on the 396T, or can it be salvaged with some fancy programming skills?? Thanks for anyone's help.

Nasby

You may need to update the firmware but the 396T will certainly do rebanded systems (maybe even without the F/W update, I can't recall).

You can use Freescan to program it. The software won't cost you a dime and it will automatically download the proper settings and control channels for a rebanded system.

As for MARCS, its a true P25 system and rebanding doesn't come into play. And yes the 396T will receive the MARCS System.

However, when you talk about a simulcast system, it will be hit or miss on reception with that unit.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The 396T will do control channel only programming. What it won't do, but the 396XT can do, is multi-site. For the 396T, you'd need to create a separate system for each site you need to program, including the talkgroups. Lumping frequencies from more than one site into just one system is unlikely to work. the 396T would stop on the first control channel it can receive, and use that until it can no longer decode that frequency at all. Even though you might have the control channels from one or more other sites entered as well, the scanner will not check any of them as long as it hears the first one it finds.

The 396T can use 700MHz frequencies. If this is the system you are trying to hear, then you would not need to enter a custom band plan, The scanner would get that information from the control channel data. I know that a firmware update was provided so that the 396T could handle rebanded frequencies. I could be wrong, but think that update is needed to allow the 396T to use the data provided by the control channel. MARCS is also a P25 system, so entering a band plan is not necessary. Again, that information is provided by the control channel.

The 396T also has lower specs on how many talkgroups can be entered in a system.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT came out very soon after the the 396T. I suspect the reason for the quick replacement may at least include the desire for multiple sites on large/statewide trunk systems.

[U]hiegtx[/U], yes, you are correct on the system, so it looks like I will have to update firmware as suggested and try Freescan. I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far, and will give it a try this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.