LW Beacon 405 khz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEV200

Sorry. Only thing I copy is the five "dits". It is MCW--not CW. These are audio tones--five of them. Never heard anything else.
When the sun goes down--the station goes away.
Gotta do some serious work on this project now.

Will keep you informed.

73's
John--WA4VPY--West Palm Beach, Fl.

John, when I hear it here in Birmingham, it's between 11:00 PM and midnight CST but very weak copy as I'm only using a 33' long sloper for antenna.

Dave K4PBN

jf4164

Hi guys.

It's 1942 hrs ZULU--1442 local--here in West Palm Beach, Fl.

The 405 beacon is there. The LF band seems to be "open" this afternoon. I am hearing beacons that I have never heard before.

Mr. BEACON is right there.

Am trying to get a true RDF fix on source from an "anonymous" source.

As I am typing this, the signal seems to be going down in the noise, so got a feeling it is not local to the South Florida area.

Will keep the list informed.

John--
WA4VPY

jf4164

Hello from West Palm Beach, Florida.
It's 2000 Zulu--that's 3 PM for you non-military types.

The 405 beacon is there--but barely audiable in the noise.

Gues it is not a local.

My guess is the Gulf of Mexico.

More follows as I get it.

John--WA4VPY

jf4164

Hi guys. It's 2047 Zulu here in West Palm Beach, florida. Our buddy the beacon is there but is way down in the mud.
Info for RADIOCATCHER--the beacon band ends at 405--so they won't put a beacon on 405--which we know is their exact frequency.
Because of bandwidth--this is an Amplitude Modulated signal--the closest they would put a beacon would be around 401 --402 Khz.
Got a feeling this is coming from a site that doesn't really need a callsign--if u get what I am saying.

Or it could be coming from international waters.

Just a thought.

The saga continues.....

John--WA4VPY

pjxii

I know this is an old thread but I've gotten back into NDB hunting and "FIVE" is still on 405 kHz. I'm in Naples, FL and hearing it this evening. Fades in and out. Did anyone ever get more info about it? There is absolutely nothing on a web search except this thread.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I know this is an old thread but I've gotten back into NDB hunting and "FIVE" is still on 405 kHz. I'm in Naples, FL and hearing it this evening. Fades in and out. Did anyone ever get more info about it? There is absolutely nothing on a web search except this thread.

Can you post a recording of it? How sure of it's frequency are you? If you go to USB, and tune for about a 1000 cycle beat note, what frequency does your radio display it at?

pjxii

Hi guys. Happy New Year.
I am in West Palm Beach, fl.--abt 70 miles north of Miami.
I put a post on here a few days ago that I could here the beacon here then.

Well--I can hear it again. It's about an S5, but definitely copyable. And its one in the afternoon so ground wave propigation sucks at this time of day.

NOTE:

I can't hear some of the south Florida LDF airport beacons, so this thing must be close.

will dig out my LF RDF gear and start DF'ing this puppy.

Will keep u guys informed.
WHAT i NEED ARE GOOD BEARING FROM TOWNS NORTH AND SOUTH OF ME--FORT PIERCE AND FORT LAUDERDALE. With a RDF bearing from me, we can locate source.

73's

John--WA4VPY

Was out this morning (@ 1400 UTC) checking on my newly purchased semi-rural lot in Naples FL with a Panasonic RF-B65. Heard this "5" beacon easily but not strong enough to register any bars on the Panny's signal strength meter. It was coming in at a roughly NE/SW direction from me. If you draw a line on a map that'd be from Port St Lucie FL to just north of Cancun, give or take a few degrees. That wouldn't rule out the northwestern tip of Cuba.

For a reference of strength, CBC Cayman Islands on 415 kHz was a little stronger but not by that much. Of course MTH 260 Marathon and FIS 332 Key West were booming.

It's MCW but with a closer spacing between repeats than what you normally hear from NDBs in the United States.

pjxii

Can you post a recording of it? How sure of it's frequency are you? If you go to USB, and tune for about a 1000 cycle beat note, what frequency does your radio display it at?

Heard it with a Panasonic RF-B65 today but the single bandwidth of that radio makes it difficult to pinpoint a beacon's frequency. It's definitely 405 kHz, as I've heard it before with accurate receivers at home before the neighbors decided to RFI everything here. Wish I could have recorded it but its been on for years apparently so perhaps I can at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.