LZ Central and Viper questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4eml

I'm thinking about buying a scanner to listen to the Viper system as I understand that Davidson County will eventually be going to Viper. Any one have any suggestions on a good scanner that will work for me? Also I've noticed that when Baptist Aircare lands they've been using "LZCentral", however I can't find any information on it. I'm assuming that they are using the Viper system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about buying a scanner to listen to the Viper system as I understand that Davidson County will eventually be going to Viper. Any one have any suggestions on a good scanner that will work for me? Also I've noticed that when Baptist Aircare lands they've been using "LZCentral", however I can't find any information on it. I'm assuming that they are using the Viper system.

LZCENT (LZ Central) (and LZWEST and LZEAST) are all on VIPER:

VIPER Statewide Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4WLV

Just wanted to take a minute and say welcome to RR! I live in Rockwell, over in Rowan County. We use LZ Central here anytime we land a helo for something. It's worked a lot better this way than how we used to do it. In the past the helo's would either have to switch over to RM DISP (called Roamer Dispatch) on our trunked system, but we frequently ran into issues with some helo's not having access to it & wanting us to switch to State Fire, 154.280 but it was getting where less and less departments here were maintaining VHF's in the trucks anymore.

Once you get a scanner if you need help setting it up please give me a shout and I'd be glad to help you out. I'm familiar with all the systems in this area and I'd be glad to give you some pointers on it. As far as scanners go I still have my Uniden BCD396XT and it's a great unit. These days I use it mainly to monitor VIPER since I've got a department issued Motorola XTS5000 for our 800 P25 system here.

Again, welcome aboard & don't hesitate to ask if you need help with anything!!

kf4eml

Ok, Thanks! I've got the VHF/UHF in a scanner that I have, but I'm not familer with the differant modes on 800 mhz. If I have room, Rowan 800 mhz is one system other than the Viper that I was wanting to put in. Right now all I can hear is the ems and county fire dispatch on the vhf side.

kf4eml

Once you get a scanner if you need help setting it up please give me a shout and I'd be glad to help you out. I'm familiar with all the systems in this area and I'd be glad to give you some pointers on it. As far as scanners go I still have my Uniden BCD396XT and it's a great unit. These days I use it mainly to monitor VIPER since I've got a department issued Motorola XTS5000 for our 800 P25 system here.

Again, welcome aboard & don't hesitate to ask if you need help with anything!!

I ended up getting me a Uniden BCD396XT. I've got the Viper and Rowan's systems working on it. I'm not sure what to do about getting a Smartnet system to work so that I can hear Thomasville.

CFP387

Does anyone have a timetable yet of when Davidson County is set to switch to VIPER? I don't think the entire tower system has been built out yet.

kf4eml

Does anyone have a timetable yet of when Davidson County is set to switch to VIPER? I don't think the entire tower system has been built out yet.

I haven't heard a time table, although the commissioners have been talking about it. Last heard I think two or three more towers were going to have to be built in addition to the two that are already in the county. All of the hospitals have already switched to Viper and so all of Davidson's EMS units already have Viper. Has far as the rest of the county, it's probably several years away.

CFP387

If there are still towers to be built to link the entire county, Davidson EMS probably isn't using VIPER as their primary communications. Do they just use it to communicate with the hospitals?

kf4eml

Right now they just use Viper for the hospitals. Dispatch is still on 155.235. I assume they could use Viper for air care, but the fire departments still use vhf and normally take care of the lz. The only department that I know of that uses Viper is South Davidson and maybe Fairgrove.

Status
Not open for further replies.