• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M3 earpiece configuration? (HT1000 side connector)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rred

I'm told that oddball side connector for the HT1000 and Jedi radios in general is properly called an "M3" connector. The one that is the standard "sidesaddle" connector most often used to attach a shoulder speaker/mic with antenna on it.

And at the base of that connector, there's a plug which everyone tells me is a standard 3/8" "mini stereo" earplug, or ear+mic plug. I see all sorts of earmic and "surveillance" earsets being sold for it, and they all appear to have a standard 3/8" RTS (ring-tip-sleeve) min-stereo plug on them.

Except, if I try to plug a standard headset, or earbuds, or earmic into this socket, I get nothing. Which makes me wonder if it isn't a Special Motorola Thing...that they've wired the RTS wires differently from the way the rest of the world has chosen to?

Does anyone know how a Moto M3 connector expects to see this plug wired up? Which wire (earpiece, ground, mic) goes to which contact (ring, tip, sleeve) ? And what they do, what they short out or drop a load across, to signal PTT as well?

I've looked online, but the Do No Evil folks don't seem to have this indexed anywhere, nor does BatLabs.

I'd hate to drop most of a hundred bucks on a special earset, when I've got perfectly good ones that apparently just need a "goeszinta" wired up to make it happy.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Does the m3 connector you're using have the 3/8 jack on the connector?
Is it JUST the connector or a RSM or other accessory?

I know the older RSM's had a standard 3/8 jack on the connector, and some newer ones have a threaded 3/8 on the connector and a standard 3/8 on the RSM body.

Is there a part number on the connector itself?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
is this what you have on the radio:

Motorola_BDN6676D-s.jpg

Rred

rabbit-
It looks like that, but has a cord coming up to the shoulder speaker/mic/antenna as well. The thought struck me last night, that I'm not a fast thinker. Aside from the RTS configuration, it could easily be that these radios want an electret mic, and the earmic sets I've been using are dynamic, or vice versa. I forgot entirely about that simple matter, I remember it was a road block on a Kenwood until I found the manual and a note about that.

kf8yk

The 3.5 mm jack on the Jedi speaker microphone is receive only, here's another post with the schematic: Jedi Speaker Mic Wiring

Receive audio should be on the tip, ground on the sleeve, ring - N/C.

If you want to feed microphone audio into a 3.5 mm jack you'll need the surveillance adapter shown in the post by madrabbbitt

cmdrwill

Actually the 3.5 mm jack is threaded so the plug does not pull out.

Attachments

• treaded jedi plug.jpg
    treaded jedi plug.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 104

Rred

Thanks, guys. That the magic stuff that's apparently not readily documented any more, but a total stopper to be without it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
There are a couple versions out there of both the RSM and the audio adaptor.
Some have the threaded connector on the bottom, some are standard non threaded.
The part number was the only way to find out.

Also, i'm seeing the threaded version as posted above for the 40-55 range for a OEM unit thats pretty good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.