• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

MacBook Air stumps TSA agents, owner misses flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The suspiciously thin, port-free laptop sends airport security into a tizzy, until cooler heads prevail. Maybe it's time for some tech briefings at the TSA, no?

On his blog, programmer Michael Nygard (by way of the Unofficial Apple Weblog) writes that during a recent trip through the airport, his solid-state MacBook Air stopped TSA agents—puzzled by its lack of rear-facing ports or a standard hard drive—in their tracks.

Nygard said the agents put him and his suspicious "device" in a holding cubicle as security staffers huddled nearby, looking at X-ray printouts of the sinister-looking Air and scratching their heads.

A younger TSA agent—who, apparently, was aware of Apple's newest laptop—tried explaining to the group that the Air uses solid-state memory in place of a traditional hard drive. The senior staffer, however, was still reluctant to let it go: "New products on the market? They haven't been TSA approved. Probably shouldn't be permitted," Nygard writes.

Finally, after booting up the Air and running a program, the agents let Nygard go, he said—but only after he'd missed his flight.
rofl..Oh well, at least we know they care :D

Last edited:

Jay911

Reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where the Cubicle Police deny his request for a plastic plant, because, "plants attract bugs, and if I can't tell the difference between a plastic plant and a real one, how will bugs know the difference?"

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's hard to tell the difference between the TSA and McDonalds pimple pusses, they can't tell the difference between an iMac and a Big Mac. Then you get on the plane and they serve you their very own kind of Happy Meal. One of these days I'm going to whip out a cell phone and say "Hey Abdul the bomb is aboard, these guys are idiots."

trace1

kb2vxa said:
One of these days I'm going to whip out a cell phone and say "Hey Abdul the bomb is aboard, these guys are idiots."
Hmm...

US CODE Title 18 Part 1 CHAPTER 47 § 1038. False information and hoaxes

(a) Criminal Violation.—

(1) In general.— Whoever engages in any conduct with intent to convey false or misleading information under circumstances where such information may reasonably be believed and where such information indicates that an activity has taken, is taking, or will take place that would constitute a violation of chapter 2, 10, 11B, 39, 40, 44, 111, or 113B of this title, section 236 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (42 U.S.C. 2284), or section 46502, the second sentence of section 46504, section 46505(b)(3) or (c), section 46506 if homicide or attempted homicide is involved, or section 60123 (b) of title 49, shall—

(A) be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;

(B) if serious bodily injury results, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and

(C) if death results, be fined under this title or imprisoned for any number of years up to life, or both.

(2) Armed forces.— Any person who makes a false statement, with intent to convey false or misleading information, about the death, injury, capture, or disappearance of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States during a war or armed conflict in which the United States is engaged—

(A) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;

(B) if serious bodily injury results, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and

(C) if death results, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for any number of years or for life, or both.

(b) Civil Action.— Whoever engages in any conduct with intent to convey false or misleading information under circumstances where such information may reasonably be believed and where such information indicates that an activity has taken, is taking, or will take place that would constitute a violation of chapter 2, 10, 11B, 39, 40, 44, 111, or 113B of this title, section 236 of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (42 U.S.C. 2284), or section 46502, the second sentence of section 46504, section 46505 (b)(3) or (c), section 46506 if homicide or attempted homicide is involved, or section 60123 (b) of title 49 is liable in a civil action to any party incurring expenses incident to any emergency or investigative response to that conduct, for those expenses.

(c) Reimbursement.—

(1) In general.— The court, in imposing a sentence on a defendant who has been convicted of an offense under subsection (a), shall order the defendant to reimburse any state or local government, or private not-for-profit organization that provides fire or rescue service incurring expenses incident to any emergency or investigative response to that conduct, for those expenses.

(2) Liability.— A person ordered to make reimbursement under this subsection shall be jointly and severally liable for such expenses with each other person, if any, who is ordered to make reimbursement under this subsection for the same expenses.

(3) Civil judgment.— An order of reimbursement under this subsection shall, for the purposes of enforcement, be treated as a civil judgment.

(d) Activities of Law Enforcement.— This section does not prohibit any lawfully authorized investigative, protective, or intelligence activity of a law enforcement agency of the United States, a State, or political subdivision of a State, or of an intelligence agency of the United States.
... hope ya' have a good lawyer.

Shortwavewave

You know its funny, I actully got checked/scanned when took a trip to Indiana and flew back to Oklahoma.
Apperently they frowned apon a youngster with a scanner,am/fm radio,IBM laptop, mp3 player, binoculars, and cell phone!!
I went on a 3week trip I didnt want to be board!!!:D

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
TSA Agent Requirements

Requirements for a TSA agent:

1. Must NOT have a high school diploma or GED
2. English is not a requirement Ability to speak without being understood is a plus!
3. Must be unemployable at fast food industry as under qualified
4. Ability to read not necessary
5. Ability to see without Coke bottle glasses not required
6. Must be able to verbally assault patrons
7. No drivers license required (we know you take the bus to work)
8. Ability to molest patrons is a must (criminal history of assault is a plus)
9. Handicap persons are preferred (they move slower)

Anyone have more to add?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Jay911 said:
Reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where the Cubicle Police deny his request for a plastic plant, because, "plants attract bugs, and if I can't tell the difference between a plastic plant and a real one, how will bugs know the difference?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dic

b7spectra said:
Requirements for a TSA agent:

1. Must NOT have a high school diploma or GED
2. English is not a requirement Ability to speak without being understood is a plus!
3. Must be unemployable at fast food industry as under qualified
4. Ability to read not necessary
5. Ability to see without Coke bottle glasses not required
6. Must be able to verbally assault patrons
7. No drivers license required (we know you take the bus to work)
8. Ability to molest patrons is a must (criminal history of assault is a plus)
9. Handicap persons are preferred (they move slower)

Anyone have more to add?
Must be able to stand for hours with many other agents and do nothing.
You must AT ALL TIMES adhere to the ACTUAL meaning of TSA:
THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND

Agents must NOT open a new line for inspection when there are fewer than 1000 passengers waiting.

You must follow the Government endorsed dictum of:
The more people in line, the slower you work.

You must at all times do a secondary/body search on:
All handicapped passengers.
All passengers over 80 years of age.
If the passengers over 80 years of age are using assistance to walk, you must make them take at least five steps through the metal detector WITHOUT their walking assistance device(s). Assisting them in any way to walk without their devices is (obviously) NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Fathers and Mothers with more than five (5) children must be searched thoroughly.

MUST NEVER harass, search, speak to or even look cross-eyed at ANYONE who might, in any way, be of Arabic decent. (That would be profiling).

You must not follow ANY standard procedure for allowing passengers to step through the metal detector. You mood may dictate whether or not the passenger MUST HAVE THEIR BOARDING PASS IN THEIR HAND/do not need to have their boarding pass in their possession. Confusion MUST be maintained.

If you are female , you must have fake nails, a bad dye job, too much makeup, an extreme hatred of men and enjoy exerting your new found power and control over anyone who looks like your:
(Choose as many as apply):
Ex-boyfriend
Ex-husband
Father/Stepfather/Uncle.

If female, you must at ALL times have your cell phone ready to answer, even though you are at work. Opening your phone to see if someone called (even though the phone did not ring) must be performed once per minute. Text messaging while working is a plus.

However, if you are female and if you do not qualify to the above mentioned standards: Being an overweight, unattractive, angry man-hater is sufficient. You will find many opportunities to harrass men who remind you of the boys who ridiculed you in high school.

If you are male, you must NOT have been able to pass the examination for ANY Unarmed Security Guard company, or school crossing guard. However if you are male and over 70 years of age, that is grounds for immediate hire

Last edited:

bpckty1

Except for Number 8, which I question, they appear to be (the younger) AMTRAK transfers.

;^>

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
You should have seen them when I boarded a plane last July wearing Heely's. You know... wheelie shoes. Like this:

Everyone and their little brother has these damned things, but you should have seen the TSA dopes. "Ohhh what have we here? Why, there's a WHEEL in it! What kind of sinister plot could this be? Better phone a supervisor" - I kid you not, they kept looking at those dumb shoes for 5 straight minutes at least. WTF? It was as though I was the only person in the WORLD with such shoes.

My defense: They are SO FUN when zipping around the terminals! :D Yes I know, my wife tells me to grow up all the time. I'm not her husband she says, just her biggest kid.

-AZ

K4DHR

Everyone asked for the government to "do something" about airport security and we got the TSA. When in the hell is this country going to learn that the government does not do anything particularly well except for police/fire/military??

mmartinfan

Banned
kb2vxa said:
Trace, save the law school tuition and buy a sense of humor.

WTF??? Your the one telling everyone your going to be breaking the law. WTF is wrong with you anyway, do you think it would be funny to do that while in line in EWR or JFK or LGA?

Go call 911 and say damn I just shot 5 people here hahahahah and hang up, see what happens.

Stupid ass.

BTW MAC sucks anyways.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
bpckty1 said:
Except for Number 8, which I question, they appear to be (the younger) AMTRAK transfers.

;^>
Excellent! I've written a few diatribes on AMTRAK on here that left me feeling that nobody would really know what I'm talking about. Ok, i know i'm not alone now.:cool:

In response to the article, it sounds like a typical Apple fainboi douche that is always blogging about their sense of superiority of Apple like it saves whales and reverses global warming or something. They lable themselves as indipendent thinkers standing out in the masses of consumer-driven society, when they are only the most vocal and consumed by their own consumer eliteness.

Their hardware is top-notch, but the OS is obtuse, the browser is a lame resource hog, and their support/upgrade scheame is not alligned with attracting or maintaining all but the most rabid fans.

But my biggest complaint about apple..................

one mouse button!

I know you can get the mouse that has the scrolling 'nipple" but it doesnt work like a mouse should. Like communisim, they take a great idea at first, when everyone else moves on, they continue to maintain that their way is clearly better and eventually offers a token fix. Asceding to the masses and a two button mouse is more than the leadership is willing to publically compromise on. Please apple, give me lots of mouse buttons on a RIGHT HAND mouse (none of this Commie "leftys rightys and ambidexterous can use this mouse" garbage!) Just give me a nice new logitech.

rabidjade

I still love the TSA Screeners who have tried using the title of "Agent of the DHS" just to hide the fact that they were with the TSA.

trace1

kb2vxa said:
Trace, save the law school tuition and buy a sense of humor.
You may just wish to read TITLE 2C THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE 2C:12-3 Terroristic threats.

2C:12-3 Terroristic threats.

a.A person is guilty of a crime of the third degree if he threatens to commit any crime of violence with the purpose to terrorize another or to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, or facility of public transportation, or otherwise to cause serious public inconvenience, or in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience. A violation of this subsection is a crime of the second degree if it occurs during a declared period of national, State or county emergency. The actor shall be strictly liable upon proof that the crime occurred, in fact, during a declared period of national, State or county emergency. It shall not be a defense that the actor did not know that there was a declared period of emergency at the time the crime occurred.

b.A person is guilty of a crime of the third degree if he threatens to kill another with the purpose to put him in imminent fear of death under circumstances reasonably causing the victim to believe the immediacy of the threat and the likelihood that it will be carried out.

L.1978, c.95; amended 1981, c.290, s.15; 2002, c.26, s.11.
See you in court "pettifogger"... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.