Madison County Moving Closer to MSWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglogdog

There has been a push for Madison County to go to MSWIN following the termination of Butch Hammock, EOC director. The Madison County BOS recently approved the purchase of 14 APX4000 7/800 MHz radios to be distributed among the 7 county fire departments. Over the next several months, they will be testing P25 tone signalling using the Madison EMA patch on MSWIN. If all goes well, the patch will be taken down and the talkgroup will be Madison County Fire Dispatch, followed by 4 firegrounds. There are also talks to add an additional MSWIN site in Canton. The current EMA repeater would be used for backup and for tornado siren activation. The Madison EOC now has 1 primary and 2 tactical channels on MSWIN. The sheriff will stay on digital high band (at least until the next election ��).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Or until a massive incident that he cant get help on due to his wanting to play games with his radio shop buds! Sheriff never intended to use MSWIN ever unless he could blackmail the state into paying fully for it. MWCC has called him on this at least once at meetings. They were not happy that the tg they gave to the SO was used maybe 2 times, then given to EOC and SO never did any real QA testing at all. If the taxpayers/voters really knew the score with that dweeb he would not have job security very long!

biglogdog

Milf, I can tell you from first hand knowledge that what people know is just the tip of the iceberg. Ever since narrowbanding, first responders have been using analog high band with promises to upgrade in the future. The upgrade was the sheriff/eoc going to digital high band and adding a non-repeated fireground channel for the fire departments to use. The best thing for the county was hiring Tom Lariviere as interim EOC director and a new board of supervisors.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
I remember when Mcso was on analog 775 and I could hear them from Brookhaven in my Mobil, now living in s Jackson I can not hear there nxdn36 and when the one time I did, it was horrible, maybe good for the county, but too far out your screwed.

They should have kept the analog 775 cause it worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biglogdog

Among the many reasons they went to the new system, it was sold to them as "state of the art" and "nobody can hear you". It was true no scanner supported NXDN at the time, however I was tuned in immediately using a $20 RTLSDR and DSD+. The radios have decent audio and a terrible resell value. You can easily pick on up on ebay for less than $300. Mobile coverage is pretty good- I can pick them up from 50 miles out., As for the portable coverage- it basically brings them back to the pre narrowbanding days, so several dead spots throughout the county. Whats interesting is they now have added a lo band repeater at L3 communications in Gluckstadt because of the poor performance of the new system!

Last edited:

biglogdog

Raccom, now you are beginning to see what we've been talking about. They purchased a bare bones system that would future upgrades and maintenance fees. If they would have gone to MSWIN initially, it would put their friends out of business. Typically your lo band radios put out 100-110w and are wide band, which allows you to talk over several counties. Basically it's a way of getting around saying the new system sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.