Mag-Mount For Radioshack Pro 163 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9police

Hi Everyone,

I need a little help please. I am using a Radioshack Pro-163 scanner with the antenna that comes with the scanner when you buy it brand new. I am getting frustrated because some of the frequencies are relatively close to where I live and are coming in barely and are somewhat unreadable. I listen to local frequencies in Norfolk County which are mostly frequencies in the 470 range. I am in Medfield, MA and am having some issues with receving surrounding towns very well. I am wondering what the problem is and if I were to buy a Mag-Mount Antenna to stick on top of my filing cabinet if it would improve my signal, I am not allowed to stick anything outside of the house or on the roof or attic. Can someone please give me a little assitance and help me figure out what the issue is and how to fix said issue. You can PM me to AOL Instant message me to help (which may be easier than posting back and forth) or we can post back and forth. I apppricate everyone taking the time to read this thread and taking the time to help me with this issue.

Thanks again

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Mag-mount

I use a mag mount on a wire closet rack for 2 meters/440MHz, and it works fairly well. Any elevation and gain from a better antenna should make a difference if it has enough of a ground plain from the cabinet.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you are picking up the distant stations, and not the closer ones, you have a de-sense issue. That means your radio is being made deaf by nearby radio signals, maybe even the signal you are trying to listen to.

Try pressing the "ATT" button, when you are having that problem, and it might clear up.

k9police

I am having issues with alot of my frequencies (nearby & distant). I have a few programmed in here that are like 5 towns over and I am not getting them at all. Alot of the frequencies such as WRENTHAM MA POLICE which is 482.5000 which is 20 mins from me is always staticy and sometimes unreadable. I need to fix this issue ASAP. Will the mag-mount fix that issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.