HP-2: Magnetic mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug32

I'm getting a HP2 and will use it n the car. We have a magnetic mount that we mount our iPhone to and want to use it for the HP2 . Would the magnetic be bad for it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It won't hurt if it's just the antenna connected to the scanner. Make sure there isn't any amplifier in line with it.
Since the antenna is designed for 700-800MHz as well as 1900 and up into the 2GHz range, it's going to work best on those frequencies. You'll find some public safety traffic in the 700-800MHz band.

Since a lot of radio traffic is also down in the VHF and UHF bands,where these types of antennas are not designed to work, it'll be a very poor performer there.

Ideally you want an antenna that is designed for the frequencies you plan on listening too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll add:
The radio is only going to work as well as the antenna it has.

Installing a proper antenna will get the most out of your radio. Using an incorrect antenna is going to result in disappointing performance. Considering you probably spent a few hundred bucks on the radio, it would be a very good idea to follow up with a suitable antenna.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The OP is referring to a mount to hold the radio, not the antenna.

The scanner is not going to be hurt by the stray magnetism from a magnetic mount. Flash memory is not magnetic storage, so magnetic fields will not corrupt it or damage it unless you get into super-strong magnetic fields such as those found in a MRI machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.