Mahwah, NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrispano

What exactly does P25 mean?
800mgz range?
Ironic because I bought a portable scanner last year and didn't think to make sure it covered the 800mgz spectrum.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Please advise as I'm just a novice.

Dcrispano - Novice,

First welcome to Radio Reference forums.
Now to help you out, I am going to direct you to the RR Wiki Page LINK RR Wiki
Check on the right side of the page for "Links for Newcomers"
These links will give you a good head start on things, if you don't mind doing some extra reading. OK?
Thanks and Good Luck! (y):cool:

NYRHKY94

Dcrispano: In addition to the sound advice from K2YYN above, if you share the make & model of your portable scanner you'll get a quick answer as to whether or not it will receive the P25 system that Mahwah is on, i.e. you'll need a digital capable scanner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Mahwah is in the UHF band, not the 800 MHz band. Nearly all scanners made within the past 25+ years cover UHF, the question is whether your scanner covers P25 (i.e. digital) modulation.

dcrispano

Oh. I thought P25 frequencies were all in the 800mhz range. How can I see if my scanner covers P25 UHF. (As I said and as it seems obvious I'm not well versed in how all the frequencies work. All I know is I plug in the frequency that is in RR and I receive the town it says. I just cant seem to locate Mahwah's P25 frequencies...)
Any help would be appreciated.

NYRHKY94

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You can still listen to a few of Mahwah's Fire/EMS channels, specifically the following two which are still analog, not P25 digital:

460.2625 Fire/EMS Dispatch (you'll also hear DPW on this channel unless you enable the 165 DPL tone)
458.4625 Fireground (low power mobiles and portables, so you have to be nearby the fire scene to hear them clearly)

dcrispano

As noted by W2SJW, you’re out of luck listening to Mahwah on your current scanner. Until such time that you get a digital capable scanner, you can listen to Mahwah online using your phone, tablet and/or PC at the following Links below. However you’ll see that both of these live feeds cover several other departments in Bergen County:

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/5861
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/28769

Thanks. I already listen to Broadcastify.

dcrispano

You can still listen to a few of Mahwah's Fire/EMS channels, specifically the following two which are still analog, not P25 digital:

460.2625 Fire/EMS Dispatch (you'll also hear DPW on this channel unless you enable the 165 DPL tone)
458.4625 Fireground (low power mobiles and portables, so you have to be nearby the fire scene to hear them clearly)

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.