Man arrested for scanner in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
goodness people.

unless he is a ham, he's in violation.... obviously.

it's two misdemeanor charges - which will probably be dropped or reduced.

move on.....

doug

gcr33

I guess some persons know more than others when they say it will be dropped or reduced?

I wonder where they get their educated guesses from? Perhaps additional chanrges will be forthcoming with an indictment from a grand jury? One never knows do they?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Probably Depends on his history and wether or not the D.A. wants to pursue it, one never knows
I am more concerned as to how this affects legitimate radio scanning in the state, god knows the LE Community is paranoid as it is

Last edited:

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Grand Jury? You think 2 misdemeanor charges are going to a Grand Jury? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'll buy you a 6 pack if that happens.

my educated guess is based on:

- non violent crime
- the background of the article (he was not present when the deputy found the car)
- he was not utilizing the equipment in an illegal manner (i.e. wasn't caught pulling people over)
- no one except the cops know what was programmed in the scanner

IMHO, his biggest problem is the blue lights... and the fact that he lied about having just purchased the car..........

doug

crownvic1

My educated guess is based on the the facts from the case;

1. non-violent crime and non-violent crimanl history
2. your are right was not in the vehicle when the officers spotted the vehicle parked
3. the sanner nor the lights were not in use nor on
4. the cops turned on his equipment not the defendant
5. per the report he had owned the vehicle two months prior..but only picked it up only 72 hours prior to being arrested..( per my sources how has a copy of his airline ticket from va to fla
6. it not illegal to have blue lights in florida only to use or display them...
7. sources tell me that there were reports and arrest of people who had impersonated poliec months prior
8. the guy had credentials that were not checked out properly checked out by the police.
9. he had made a purchase via ebay a few months ago as a matter of fact he had owned (3) in the last few months and sold them to the members of the fire/ems and LE community. Most of them were fully equipped.
10. go to ebay type in ford crown vic...and search away..most of the sellers will hold the car for you until you pick it up..what do they care there are charging you storage...

I am willing to bet, case dismissed and a civil lawsuit pending...o yeah innocent until proven guilty by a judge or jury...what I here the state has talked about dismissing the blue light charge...and the scanner charge...you cannot be founf guilt of having a scanner installed in your vehicle in florida if it does not work...and if it is not so adjusted or tuned to pick up LE or Fire/Ems

I wonder why.......

Last edited:

gcr33

What I am still referring to not having all this inside knowledge that some people have is that perhaps additional charges are forthcoming.

I was not there and if it's only misdemeanors of course there is no grand jury.

Sounds like attorneys that advertise on bus benches, we will sue for you, anyone anywhere, when you are talking about civil suits. The case is not even disposed of and already there is talk of civil suits.

climberkid

KM4FFB
I dont want to be petty but the class D license is a Security Officer license, not a Security Guard. In my mind there is a big difference, in both the public appearance and the jobs themselves. My off-topic .02

gcr33

You can call them what you like a class D license is a security guard or security officer. It's the same thing.
A class W with that is for armed security guard / security officer.

And now back to the topic!

neonhomer

Funny... I used to drive a old Dodge Diplomat, painted black and white with a lightbar. Had the wig-wags in the headlights, siren and the whole nine yards.

Only difference was... I live in Florida, but the car was painted and marked as a California Highway Patrol car. Everything in the car worked, but the main feed wire that hooked everthing up to the battery was disconnected and taped up under the hood.

I was stopped more times for cops looking at the car than for actual violations. I didn't use the equipment on the car, except for shows, and didn't try to use the car for malicious reasons.

There are differences between people who like old police cars for the car, and people who like them cause they want to play Johnny Law.,

mkh

If you want to play whacker in Florida these days it seems that a dark blue Dodge Charger with dark tinted windows is the way to go. They are popping up as unmarked cars all over the place.

Note: I don't have one and don't condone the practice.

mancow

Database Admin
Did they get a warrant to remove the equipment? There's no way we could get away with that around here without a warrant.

:confused:

Yes I am admitted to pratice law in D.C. also I am a Safety and Security Consultant for a Major Corporation. I provided my experience to show explain why I am considered a Consultant..my law degree allows me to represent clients from time to time but most importantly help me keep my company in complaince with the law...

No I am not representing the defendant.

The story appeared to be a bit odd ( and just didn't make since the way it was done...)so I checked out the details of the case, and you are right most officers would just ask the person to remove the equipment. I have found out via my contacts that the defendant was arrested, released, and his car was returned to him with all of his equipment stripped and his wires was cut...the same day. It was odd due to the fact from my sources that ...the car was not in use, not turned as a matter of fact it was just parked at the park...and again per my sources...and the arresting officer harrassed the defendant after he finished his walk and returned to his vehicle...and he produced ID that explained the situation.....You know sometimes some stories just seem really strange.....This is why I checked it out, I am under the opinion that there is a difference in using and possession in some cases...unless in the case of drugs...It was the talk around the office..and we all asked the same question..why the defendant was not charged with "impersonating a police office"which is a felony but charged with (2) lesser charges....this my friend is strange.

This is why I became interested in the story... What line of work do you do sir? I like to know what others are doing in other parts of the world?

crownvic1

Actually the police didn't get a warrant and that is why he has put TPD and the City of Tallahassee on notice all they had to do was verify his story. As you can see he has a past who doesn't but if you look at his website he is doing great things in the community. What the paper didn't say is his rights were restored and he is on the list for an offical pardon fronm the Governer. He had to wait 8-10 years after his crime before he could approach the Governer. His equipment along plus installation was over $1700.00. And the Judge ordered the police to return all of his equipment including his scanner and blue lights. But when he picked up his items they were cut , warranty voided, thus making his property useless. The scanner and the visor blue lights were still operational. What the police did and still are doing is trying to justify thier actions, as you can see he only had to pay a fine and no conviction.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
It has taken me some time now in restoring my 2000 Ford CVPI. It was a retired unit from West Palm Beach PD. It has been retrofitted with a full compliment of radios, antennas, siren, radar unit, laptop computor, and AMBER lights. I take so much pride in my restoration work, and have to admit... it does look like an official police vehicle. EXCEPT, I chose to apply a colored decal along the side of the vehicle that is extremely noticeably different from any other marked police vehicle with-in the state, as not to reflect any similar appearances. I do not wish to confuse the public for which this vehicles useage was intended. I restored this vehicle for local car shows only. Its not a joy ride vehicle, and even at car shows the siren and even the lights never get turned on. Are they wired into the vehicles electric... yes, but not used. I employ great wiring skills, its a craft not just a hobby, a talent similar to that of which ham operators have... by taking great strides in thier radio endevours, by rigging up wiring and antennas, matching components and microphones, just to achieve thier greatest listening pleasures. I feel it is so wrong for anyone to use this type of vehicle to impersonate a LEO, FF, or EMS. And, if you look at the majority of ex-police vehicles commiting these illegal types of actions, you will find that 99 percent of those vehicles were un-marked CVPI style cars with no markings, basically one color paint scheme, a peel and stick cell phone look a like glass mounted antenna, and only the siloutte of a dash mounted light device... probably an old non operating light, mounted in a way which makes the vehicle appear to be official. There are the exceptions, where some nut has taken an old cruiser and fitted it with operational colored lights and siren and attempts to pull someone over, but that is usually the exception. Im glad that my personal hobby-show vehicle is marked unlike that of any other, and causes me no problem or concern. Police car restoring is an art, and I enjoy seeing the old ones lettered and decalled for major cities, but remember that they have to get permission from the city, county, or state to show that vehicle as a show vehicle only as lettered or decalled for that state at where it is to be shown.

radiomanNJ1

I guess you were wrong. He took a plea. Please go back to law school. Don't put lights on your car. Don't put illegal radios in your car.

And no not everyone has a past as one said.

My educated guess is based on the the facts from the case;

1. non-violent crime and non-violent crimanl history
2. your are right was not in the vehicle when the officers spotted the vehicle parked
3. the sanner nor the lights were not in use nor on
4. the cops turned on his equipment not the defendant
5. per the report he had owned the vehicle two months prior..but only picked it up only 72 hours prior to being arrested..( per my sources how has a copy of his airline ticket from va to fla
6. it not illegal to have blue lights in florida only to use or display them...
7. sources tell me that there were reports and arrest of people who had impersonated poliec months prior
8. the guy had credentials that were not checked out properly checked out by the police.
9. he had made a purchase via ebay a few months ago as a matter of fact he had owned (3) in the last few months and sold them to the members of the fire/ems and LE community. Most of them were fully equipped.
10. go to ebay type in ford crown vic...and search away..most of the sellers will hold the car for you until you pick it up..what do they care there are charging you storage...

I am willing to bet, case dismissed and a civil lawsuit pending...o yeah innocent until proven guilty by a judge or jury...what I here the state has talked about dismissing the blue light charge...and the scanner charge...you cannot be founf guilt of having a scanner installed in your vehicle in florida if it does not work...and if it is not so adjusted or tuned to pick up LE or Fire/Ems

I wonder why.......

crownvic1

Since this is still an issue in the minds of some. The only reason he took a plea was due to the fact he lived 800 miles away and he would have had to spend at least $200 each way diving which is more than $750.00 fined by the judge. I was there at the hearing and the State didn't want to try the case and Mr. Houston didn't want to keep coming back and forth. A jury trial was set two weeks out, he would had to come to pick a jury and come to have a trial. So the judge ask what can we do to resolve this case today, she said if he ( Mr. Houston) took a no contest plea she would only give him a fine and not find him guilty and order the police to return his equipment. She also stated she didn't want to try thie case either it would be a waste of time but he did have a scanner "installed" in his car. Maybe you should look at the recent articles on TPD "Tallahassee Police Department" and you will see that they do some shaddy stuff.

And yes everyone has a past!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have past girlfriends, past jobs, past friends, a traffic ticket, so forth and so on and you have done things in your like that only you and God knows...EVERYONE HAS A PAST!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing he was guilty of was having a scanner in his car in Florida, in his state of virginia it is legal! He didn't know, so what if his history is all over the news, how would you feel if you were judge by your past mistakes over 10 years ago. Get a grip, this is a dead issue. No harm no foul, he didn't know he paid a fine got his stuff back they gave him a check for his damaged equipment. On day you would want someone to speak up for you, when you are wronged. THIS IS A DEAD ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.