• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Man Cave Lightbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockport8

Hello,

I was able to get a light bar for my man cave, but am now trying to figure out how I'm going to power it. It is one of those older rotary ones. I don't have a control box, and am looking for ideas of how I can get it to work.

It is a Federal Signal Vista light bar.

Thank you for your help guys (and ladies)!!

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
How many amps do they require? It's easy enough to build a ~10 A supply out of a junk computer PSU. I would think that would handle it.

CapStar362

if fully powered, its going to take 156A @ 12VDC +

DAYUM!! thats going to some hefty Computer PSU's you would need!! i dont even think a single PSU puts out that much even @ the 1.6KW Models......lemme look

The ONLY PSU i could find that even delivers more than 150A - 12VDC is this one:

Rosewill HERCULES-1600 Continuous 1600W@50 Degrees C ATX12V v2.3 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

but you would need to combine the 12v Rails from 2 into 1 to attain the full 156A you would need provided you are running ALL the options on the light bar.

i do know there is a thread in the PC Section about someone wanting to combine two AC/DC Laptop adapters into one for double the amperage..... it theoretically can be done, but i for one do not have the electrical know how and procedural knowledge of wiring such a thing.

wtp

well

go buy the car for under it.

just had to say it.
it would also help if you put it against a wall
i think i see where the bar lights front/back
that would cut down on needed power
if it were me i wold get the control box and use it the way i want with a car battery and read the amps with a meter and adjust accordingly .
good luck and i like it.

mmckenna

Well Known Member
If you are going to use this indoors, you don't need the full brightness. I'd suggest replacing the individual bulbs with something that draws a lot less power. A number of them are 50 watt lamps. Try replacing those with 10 watt lamps. It'll still be bright enough for indoor use, and save you a lot on the power supply.

James_Bond_007

Premium Subscriber
even better would be to see if you can covert it to LED builbs. much much less draw than incandescent or CFL. don't forget those motors to rotate the lamps probably draw some amperage too.

N1SQB

While no longer hooked up due to space limitations, I ran an edge 9000 light bar, with a control box, using
an Astron SS30M power supply without any problems. I had the take downs, side alleys, rear alleys, front and rear strobes, all working fine. Just make sure you don't have anything else hooked up to the power supply. Here is a picture I found on the web.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.