Manhole Covers Serve as Antennas Expanding Wireless Network Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I think the manhole cover antennas are a great idea. They are everywhere in big cities and you have a huge connected tunnel system to feed them. Since ATT is planning on being able to deliver Directv via broadband in 5yrs and pulling the plug on satellites, they will have a huge commitment to 5G for delivering a major part of the programming.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think the manhole cover antennas are a great idea. They are everywhere in big cities and you have a huge connected tunnel system to feed them. Since ATT is planning on being able to deliver Directv via broadband in 5yrs and pulling the plug on satellites, they will have a huge commitment to 5G for delivering a major part of the programming.

Considering what quality a lot of the programming is, what better way to "Dish it up" but via the sewer! The Dish installers can come back to all those homes and turn the dish earthward toward the nearest manhole.

Years ago I was watching all the new pipes going in underground in Miami Beach and thought it would be great racket to put those pipes in with a separate conduit molded in for future fiber optics. It wasn't two years later they were digging and tunneling in fiber.

prcguy

Despite any occasional signal issues, DirecTV is still light years ahead of the best rated cable company for up time, customer service experience and everything else. Unfortunately ATT has purchased DirecTV and they are somewhat clueless on how the TV business works, so things are at an all time low for service quality and employee morale.

But since the shareholder bottom line is king for them, ATT will try an adopt a Netflix type of business model and only deliver content without supplying receivers and related hardware to cut expenses. Building out 5G is critical for ATT to be able to walk away from the satellite fleet in the future.

Considering what quality a lot of the programming is, what better way to "Dish it up" but via the sewer! The Dish installers can come back to all those homes and turn the dish earthward toward the nearest manhole.

Years ago I was watching all the new pipes going in underground in Miami Beach and thought it would be great racket to put those pipes in with a separate conduit molded in for future fiber optics. It wasn't two years later they were digging and tunneling in fiber.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I live in a growing community 6 miles from a major university , yet ATT barely has DSL service in my neighborhood. At best I can get 1 mbps. They promised 6 when they hooked it up but were apparently ignorant of the laws of physics. After messsing with ATT and DISH for two years I had to go to a cable provider who has a monopoly. ATT Fiber has been less than a mile away for 6 years but they have chosen not to compete with the cable company in this neighborhood. By the way we have many manhole covers, but they are not connected to anything. Interesting, maybe we can run our own fiber in the non existant sewer system!

ipfd320

Banned
im trying to figure this out how this is feasible--How well are these gonna work with a car over it and what will happen to the electronics in the car while sitting over a transmitting antenna / if the Manhole has to be opened what happens to the coax attached to this / are they gonna use existing manholes or make new ones in the street just for these antennas / where is the repeater and associated machinery being located / wont the signal be shooting vertical instead of a a direct horizontal shoot

This Just Dosent Make Sense to me

and the Link iMonitor Posted wont Open until i drop my ad blocker (not doing that)---is nthere a better link to this story post

prcguy

The antenna manhole covers seem to be new and plastic and I would think the electronics would be packaged on the backside with a direct connection to the antenna. Waveguide is generally used at these frequencies due to high feedline losses. The power levels would be very low and I see no harm to vehicles. There would be a lot of signal bouncing and I would expect circular pol antennas to be used to mitigate multipath.

I've done work in the 18 to 40GHz range and also 90GHz and you can get surprisingly good distance with low power.

im trying to figure this out how this is feasible--How well are these gonna work with a car over it and what will happen to the electronics in the car while sitting over a transmitting antenna / if the Manhole has to be opened what happens to the coax attached to this / are they gonna use existing manholes or make new ones in the street just for these antennas / where is the repeater and associated machinery being located / wont the signal be shooting vertical instead of a a direct horizontal shoot

This Just Dosent Make Sense to me

and the Link iMonitor Posted wont Open until i drop my ad blocker (not doing that)---is nthere a better link to this story post

Status
Not open for further replies.