Many towers sizzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys.
During the last few months, I have heard analog towers producing a frying sound while not in use.. But, the owners of the towers are able to talk just fine.. Aka pd, dispatch..... And very recently, after adding a uhf patch, the 2 vhf towers would start frying, putting thru the uhf link. The input freq changed, and I have a friend who insists it's p25 bleed over. and today, on my uniden 396xt, with mag mount, a p25 conventional system also let out a horrendous sound... NOT encryption...After many tuning sessions, I can't find what's causing it. I'm using a ferret antenna, and a discount antenna.. Now, I'm not looking for answers,,,per say..... Just 1 question....

Has anyone else heard these frying sounds from ANY repeaters???

I have a theory, but I need to know if any other area has had this problem..
1 of the places I heard fry was med flight. And that's the last thing they need. Dropped comms..
Thanks... I just find it strange so many are doing this at the same time..

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to the towers themselves or the signal they are producing on your scanner/receiver/radio?

mainetrunk

The signal is heard by the entities. Med flight is a ways away from me, and they got it bad.. Like I said - a lot of towers are producing it. And the entities do hear it. I have already been thru all logical possibilities. This isn't something I heard once.. I have been following these disruptions for 3 years now.. And now it is hitting p25 conventional systems.. I say again -- I have heard this many times. And I take it you have not heard any...

Question was -- has anyone heard this?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have not. Physical towers buzzing, I've heard and although a problem from the tech side, if the radios are working, the agencies usually don't pay much attention until something catches fire.

Lots of possibilities:

P25 trunking?
co-located equipment?
bad grounding?
did the system recently go IP from dedicated POTS lines or vice-versa?
was there a recent change in the system maintainer?
fried rat in a cabinet?

If the frequencies are controlled from a central point, the problem could be there and not at the tower sites.

mainetrunk

Well Ed,
I realize many things can cause the noise. I say again, many towers. Close and far. Concord nh hospital transport shares the med flight freq. 2 separate tones. Both of those are frying. It's a huge coincidence that they are frying up 1 at a time..
Personally, I think it's radiation of some type.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I would obviously have to hear it, but after the multiple rainstorms of the past couple of months, I'd be looking at the phone lines, it's the most likely culprit. If you have any contacts at the agencies affected, suggest that they open a ticket with the phone company. If it's in one line, it's probably in many.

Status
Not open for further replies.