• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maratrac volume control

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Being the one currently in charge of radios for my FD, I'm getting complaints from some members that the volume control for one of our first-out units is causing a problem.

Reportedly the audio levels are changing on their own, and there is a notable lag/overrun in the intended volume control changes.

I have not been able to find any bad connections to the speaker, nor getting any random volume changes when I am in the vehicle. (I took it out on about a 30 minute test ride a couple days ago, monitoring the local NWS broadcast while hitting bumps and randomly altering the vehicle's movements.)

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, would you mind sharing what you found to be the problem and/or resolution?

Last edited:

NCFire11

I know the device that connects to the knob inside of the radio that actually alters the volume has a tendency to fail. On my P1225 when I turned the knob, the volume would not change until it got to a certain point, then it would go full blast. It did not have a gradual volume it was more like high or low, no inbetween. Replaced that part and it has been working fine ever since.

CCHLLM

Need more input----- Which control head? A7 99 channel or one of the Clam Shell heads or the Handheld control head? Each style has its own idiosyncrasies. What they can have in common is pinched or damaged places in the control cable, loose or damaged or contaminated or corroded radio drawer connections on the drawer end of the control cable, or internal interconnection problems in the radio drawer itself. Clam Shell heads can have volume control pot problems or loose or corroded wire connections on the back side at that end of the control cable. They can also have internal corrosion or loose board interconnections. If none of these things are loose or they're not seated right, they can still be corroded or dirty. It's a fire truck - look for water damage.

There could also be the dreaded beverage-induced "Berserk Controls Syndrome." The radio becomes autistic and makes the operator and companions' lives miserable. That means taking the control head apart and cleaning out the offending spilled substance(s) to restore mental health on both sides.

The trick to setting the volume on the A7 99 channel control head is to just disregard the volume set tone and press and hold the MON button until the squelch opens, set the volume where you want it by the volume of the white noise, then press MON again to cancel the white noise and restore the radio to normal ops.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I believe we have the 99 channel control head. It is not handheld, and has no analog parts.

I suppose there is the chance that is something spilled into the control head, but doubtful. The seems to be no vibration/motion related cause. Reportedly the volume will change randomly, lags or overshoots the intended audio level when pressing the volume control buttons. (I have not been able to reproduce the actions complained about.)

I've been a tech for quite awhile, just not on that many Motorola items. That's why I'm just checking to see if anyone knows of a common problem for the series.

CCHLLM

If it's rectangular with all pushbuttons, it's the A7 head. In regard to the volume problem, if it's not undesirable liquid contamination, bad connections, or broken or pinched wires, it's likely a problem in the internal components.

Begin with the checks in my previous posts, and just for grins, turn the unit off, disconnect power, and pull the big connector from the drawer unit and see if there's a broken smaller post anywhere on the male portion on the radio drawer. If there is a broken/missing pin, make sure to remove the broken pin from the female side even if it means disassembling the cable end connector. That broken/missing pin malady, if it exists in your case, can actually be repaired without replacing the connector assembly in the drawer.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've been a tech for quite awhile, just not on that many Motorola items. That's why I'm just checking to see if anyone knows of a common problem for the series.

You might be better served posting your question on the batboard. There's some pretty sharp people there that don't necessarily post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.