MARCS capable radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack4465

Premium Subscriber
Is the bc396 scanner capable of receiving the current MARCS radio traffic or what radios are currently able to monitor this system

jack4465

Premium Subscriber
The marcs systems in Ohio require a Phase 2 digital audio radio. I am inquiring as to anyone who monitors Ohio marcs just what radios are they using to do this. I am unsure if phase 2 is being used statewide.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not really familiar with all the "phase" terminolgy.

I'm using a BCD996XT. I'm monitoring the orginal MARCS system as well as the MARCS IP system.

Any of the current digital scanners will work. Some of the older ones won't/can't do 700 MHz in the IP version but all the latest ones can and do.

budevans

The marcs systems in Ohio require a Phase 2 digital audio radio.

No it does not.

The new MARCS-IP Project 25 System is Phase II capable. Currently the system is running as Phase I.

FYI, if a Phase I radio affiliates with a Phase II talk group, that talk group will revert to Phase I.

Regarding scanners that are currently Phase II capable, the Pro 800 is the only one. But early next year Uniden will be offering two Phase II scanners. Check the Uniden forum for additional information.

Nasby

Jack
I use the Radio Shack PRO-197 and PRO-106 to monitor MARCS. These units do an excellent job of properly receiving the MARCS system. I live about a half hour from Hubbard.
There are other models out there from Uniden which I have not tried.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The marcs systems in Ohio require a Phase 2 digital audio radio. I am inquiring as to anyone who monitors Ohio marcs just what radios are they using to do this. I am unsure if phase 2 is being used statewide.

A Phase II capable scanner is not required to monitor Ohio MARCS or MARCS-IP.

Phase II means two-slot TDMA, which Ohio MARCS is not and never will be capable of. MARCS-IP (the new P25 system) is capable of using Phase II, but to the best of my knowledge no one is using it nor do there appear to be any plans to use it any time soon.

jack4465

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 996xt scanners and used to monitor marcs in this area. They went silent this fall after the rebanding. I then went back to RR and reloaded the freqs/talkgroups via freescan. Still no luck. I am assuming that these radios are not capable of receiving the new audio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have 2 996xt scanners and used to monitor marcs in this area. They went silent this fall after the rebanding. I then went back to RR and reloaded the freqs/talkgroups via freescan. Still no luck. I am assuming that these radios are not capable of receiving the new audio.

For MARCS, which is a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink system using digital voice, you will need to program the rebanded tables in addition to the new frequencies, and make sure the scanners have the current firmware.

The MARCS-IP system is a true digital P25 Standard system, does not require the tables, and will eventually replace the MARCS system.

My 996 and 396 both receive MARCS better than before the rebanding and they receive the MARCS-IP system even better.

Last edited:

jack4465

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with setting up a band plan. I have just imported the info from RR and loaded it in. Advise?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Click on the links which are underlined in blue.

Check your software to assure the tables are there. Also make sure you are only scanning one site, the closest to you.

Last edited:

andyishere

I use a Uniden BCD396XT for the current MARCs and MARCs IP 700Mhz system. I listen to OSP Post 12 and Clark County Sheriff, Springfield Township and Bethel Township Fire. I have not had an issue with this scanner yet, it is a great scanner and extremely reliable.

Speaking of this scanner, myself and a few others purchased the BCD996XT yesterday so we can listen to other talk groups not programmed into our radios.

So with this scanner and MARCS, which software seems to be the most popular with programming the system?

SCPD

QRT
Speaking of this scanner, myself and a few others purchased the BCD996XT yesterday so we can listen to other talk groups not programmed into our radios.

So with this scanner and MARCS, which software seems to be the most popular with programming the system?

FreeScan is what I've been using and is good. There are other free-trial/pay-to-use programs also.

Status
Not open for further replies.