Maricopa County Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ165

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this has been answered before but has MCSO moved to the 700 system yet? I’m not hearing anything on any of the 800 sites. Thanks

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I was monitoring the new system on Wednesday, and all I was hearing were radio techs that were doing antenna work on a tower. It sounds like they still have some infrastructure work to do before they start moving users to the new system.

I will give the County system a listen later tonight, but based on what I monitored Wednesday, I assume it is business as usual on the old system.

KB7MIB

I'm listening to them right now. MCSO East and Central are up and running at least.

When was the last time you listened to them? If it's been some time, they have rebanded in the past year or two. Make sure you have the current control channels now, and any special bandplan that your scanner(s) may need.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=848

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this has been answered before but has MCSO moved to the 700 system yet? I’m not hearing anything on any of the 800 sites. Thanks

This morning, I gave a listen to the Thompson Peak site on the old system. MCSO East, West, and Lakes are all still active on the old system.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The county-wide radio system is a huge thing to update as Maricopa county is the largest county geographically in the country, and I expect personally that it might take several months at a minimum if not all year to fully transition...just my feeling.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
The county-wide radio system is a huge thing to update as Maricopa county is the largest county geographically in the country, and I expect personally that it might take several months at a minimum if not all year to fully transition...just my feeling.

San Bernardino County California is the largest county by area in the lower 48 states. SBCO is over 20,000 sq mi vs Maricopa at 9,200ish sq mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, actually should have said second largest county geographically. According to the latest Wiki information Maricopa country is more than twice the size of LA county for reference.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, actually should have said second largest county geographically. According to the latest Wiki information Maricopa country is more than twice the size of LA county for reference.

But Coconino County is about 10,000 square miles larger than Maricopa. Wikipedia shows Coconino at #2 and Maricopa at #15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Well thanks for the correction, not sure where I got that info but good to have the facts straight.

Back to my original point though, after verifying with Wiki, there are 3,007 counties in America, and with Maricopa County being number 15, that means it is larger than 99.5% of all counties in America, so any way you cut it this is an exceptionally large county compared to most counties, and this is a very large project. Arizona just happens to have several really large (larger) counties.

KB7MIB

Arizona ranks 6th in square miles (114,006), with 15 counties.
Pennsylvania, where I was born, ranks 33rd (46,058), with 67 counties.

Arizona counties are huge, compared to some Eastern States.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

I would hope, that at the very least, the dispatch channels stay in the clear. (And ideally, I'd like to see each district have it's own dispatch channel, so we can pick & choose which districts to listen to. Most of the time, I'm only interested in District 3, but I have to hear calls from District 2 as well. Separating Lake Pleasant from the rest of the lakes and the river would be nice, too. They'd need additional dispatch personnel to do that, though.)

However, I would expect detectives and SWAT, as well as the car-to-car, information, and hot/tactical channels to be encrypted.

I'd like to see the special detail/event channels kept in the clear as well.

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I sent a hand written letter to the new sheriff when he took over making my best case for leaving non-tac stuff other than info in the clear on the new system and never heard back but I'm hopeful that luck smiles on us.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone been monitoring any activity lately on the new system? If so, what TG's, and which site / simulcast? Is this actually a simulcast system? I have the Buckeye (White Tanks?) and Scottsdale (Thompson Peak?) sites / simulcasts running here and there and haven't heard anything for a while with wilcard searching.

KB7MIB

I assume that any activity would be Phase II, and I don't have a scanner for Phase II, so I haven't been listening.

I could be wrong, of course, and they could be Phase I.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.