Marine beacon information

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra

Premium Subscriber
Recently while in W. Palm Beach Florida I noticed what appeared to be an abandoned a low Freq. beacon site on Flagler Avenue on a platform a short distance out into Lake Worth. It was about 80 Ft. tall, has a fence around it, and a copper grounding system going into the water. It aroused my curiosity and I imagine it was once used as a navigation aid to mariners. Does anyone know the history of this or know where I might look up marine beacons ? There is a lot of info available on low frequency aircraft beacons, but nothing that I could find about marine beacons.

ecps92

Lat/Lon might help
i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps

Recently while in W. Palm Beach Florida I noticed what appeared to be an abandoned a low Freq. beacon site on Flagler Avenue on a platform a short distance out into Lake Worth. It was about 80 Ft. tall, has a fence around it, and a copper grounding system going into the water. It aroused my curiosity and I imagine it was once used as a navigation aid to mariners. Does anyone know the history of this or know where I might look up marine beacons ? There is a lot of info available on low frequency aircraft beacons, but nothing that I could find about marine beacons.

texasag

Marine Beacon / RDF interest / publication ?

The east, west, and gulf coasts....had very low freq, marine radio beacons, which transmitted morse ID signals. At sea, you would tune to the respective freq....and rotate the RDF loop / antenna, to obtain the proper bearing for the beacon antenna, on shore.
You then would have a line of position......and with several stations plotted, you had an "electronic fix."
Many variables at work here......and your equipment must be tested, calibrated, etc. You also...applied a "correction factor" if needed.

It was a method / tool to assist with navigation. I used the RDF beacon system in the early 1970s.
If you are in Baltimore.....check out the USCG lightship....."chesapeake"
She not only acted as a floating lighthouse, but also still has the VLF antenna system in place.
Mariners were cautioned to not "ride the RDF beacon" during foggy weather........or you had the potential of colliding with the lightship.

And at one time, I had the marine RDF booklet....that detailed each stations location, freq, beacon call, etc.

I would like to obtain a copy .... or be able to locate the PDF version.
The pubs that I locate online are too recent to have the stations from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, etc.
Take Care

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There are web sites out there that have exhaustive lists of beacons that were, and still are on the air. Get the lat/lon off of Google Earth, and see what you can find. It that's what it was, there's something about it on the web somewhere.

ecps92

I guess we will never know the OP has not been back since June 14th

Last Activity: 06-14-2017 8:55 PM

There are web sites out there that have exhaustive lists of beacons that were, and still are on the air. Get the lat/lon off of Google Earth, and see what you can find. It that's what it was, there's something about it on the web somewhere.

kc8vlv

Sir, about 20 years ago. Their were differential beacons . If you had a loran c. Or a Gps with the Capability. The Furuno gps 28, circa 1996, furuno gps 30 1998 ,furuno 32 2000. Look for the Waas feature.
I know the locations on the great lakes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sir, about 20 years ago. Their were differential beacons .

There still are. I've got one just north of me.

If you had a loran c. Or a Gps with the Capability. The Furuno gps 28, circa 1996, furuno gps 30 1998 ,furuno 32 2000. Look for the Waas feature.
I know the locations on the great lakes.

WAAS and Differential GPS as used here in the USA are similar in function, but are different in how they get the signal to the user.
WAAS uses correction data sent out by the GOES satellites to the end users.
DGPS uses correction data sent out by more localized long wave transmitters to the end users.

I suspect you are thinking of DGPS, and not WAAS.

If what he was seeing was a DGPS station, it wouldn't look abandoned. All the ones I've been at are fairly well maintained.

WA8ZTZ

Old thread but FWIW, USCG does not show a DGPS station at West Palm Beach. Cannot find any NDB for any of the airports in the West Palm Beach area. Without more precise location...........

texasag

visited the Nantucket Lightship / LV-112, located in Boston harbor.......had a great day, excellent tour.....
Great crew and very informative........73

Status
Not open for further replies.