Marine Police watching for drunken boaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Do the Alabama Marine Police use trooper freqs for these patrols?

----

http://www.oanow.com/oan/news/local...ing_for_drunken_boaters_on_lake_martin/18239/

Published: May 22, 2008

You could say that some boaters at Lake Martin reached the point of saturation and something had to give.

That something was the keys to their boats for 33 individuals Alabama Marine Police arrested for consuming alcoholic beverages while underage at Lake Martin last weekend......

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Depends on location. They use Southern Linc as primary and they have their VHF radios as a backup. In the Gulf Shores / Orange beach area, the communicate with the local pd's theor overthier respective channels when doing license / tags checks.

Steve

kkn50,

On Lake Martin (Tallapoosa, Coosa and Elmore Counties), the Marine Police use the following (most times): DPS 2 (154.920 base/155.445 car), DPS 6 (154.920 boat to boat and car to car), Tallapoosa Co SO (151.235), Tallapoosa CO EMS (154.815, have access but limited use), Elmore Co SO (159.090), Coosa Co SO (156.165 and rarely 158.8425), Alexander City PD (154.860) and the VHF Marine Channels (mainly for "private" and sneaky comms). Last time I saw one of the mobiles, they had pretty much all of the 3 county area's frequencies programmed in them. Along with the above frequencies, Southern Linc is used again for mostly "private" comms. Also when the strange effects of the lake kick and radios act "dumb", Southern Linc will actually be used for main comms (one to one mode not group mode, best of my knowledge). So goes Lake Martin' radio world. As always, corrections and new info is welcome.

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

Randmaster

The Family Geek
Aaahhh... good ol' Alabama Marine Police... I got pulled over by them a few years ago for obstructed view at Lake Tuscaloosa.
I believe they use DPS here... but they could also be using that blasted SouthernLinc.

Dispatchers have been giving out callsigns I've never heard (started with E's, G's, J's) rather than the usual "HP" or "D" letters. It makes you think if the other callsigns can be for the motorcycles and boats...

rbryant2

Usually the letter in the trooper's call sign denotes what "troop" or home post he or she is assigned to. Perhaps they have pulled troopers from other parts of the state to assist in the traffic blitz in Tuscaloosa County. As for the Marine Police, here in the Birmingham post's area, the Marine Police call signs have the same prefix letter - "C" in Birmingham's case - followed by a 900 series number, i.e. D-924

Status
Not open for further replies.