Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

vinzep491

Im confused how are people picking up control channel data without software if this is a phase two system.

The control channel is phase 1 (one slot). On a phase 2 system, only the channel pool frequencies are two slot (phase 2) since they are designed to carry twice the capacity of a phase 1 channel.

Digital scanners can decode the cc, but they can't follow the voice traffic (as of yet).

Hope this helps. :)

vinzep491

The control channel is phase 1 (one slot). On a phase 2 system, only the channel pool frequencies are two slot (phase 2) since they are designed to carry twice the capacity of a phase 1 channel.

Digital scanners can decode the cc, but they can't follow the voice traffic (as of yet).

Hope this helps. :)

Ahh. this makes sense. thanks for the explination

I was scanning the 700 MHz range here in Newark, and came across a control channel on 773.3062 MHz with a SID of 4A2, and a site number of 104.

I'm guessing this may be somewhere in Cecil County, but it looks like we'll have to do some hunting.:)

I'll try to take a Pro96 reading a little later.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I was scanning the 700 MHz range here in Newark, and came across a control channel on 773.3062 MHz with a SID of 4A2, and a site number of 104.

I'm guessing this may be somewhere in Cecil County, but it looks like we'll have to do some hunting.:)

I'll try to take a Pro96 reading a little later.

My Pro-96 stops at same 306.306 first also but works slightly better at 773.3125
which I assume is normal freq step.
Freq seems stronger farther South of rte 40.Wonder if that SHA site near Warwick
Maryland is the active site ?

Although the signal is very weak where I am, my scanner is receiving on 773.3000, .3062, & .3125 and since 773.3062 is in the middle, I can only assume that is the actual channel frequency and the others are due to adjacent-channel interference, but then again, I could be wrong. Just my two-cents.

A talkgroup was being used about 10 min. ago, but the signal was too weak to decode. I didn't get a good look, but I think the TG was in the 16xx range.

Is anyone else receiving from this tower?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Well after short road trip i think I found tower site
ASR Registration 1273633

Headed West on 40 from Elkton and signal on Pro-96 without antenna got really
strong a couple miles West of Elkton but faded as I got to Northeast Maryland.
I think this is the site..That pdf file did mention a SHA site for testing.
Fairly new antenna site according to FCC.

Are you able to confirm the exact frequency?

The site, when viewed from google earth, seems to match a site shown in the pdf (page 7).

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to confirm the exact frequency?

I would say 773.3125..All FCC frequencies have to be in at least 5KHZ steps or mutliples of 5 so this is likely the freq.Never seen a narrow band UHF freq of 062 like in search mode.Just thinking if you double .062 you come up with .0125 or our 3125.A little UHF sideband? LOL

Not getting many ID's tonight like last time.. 49916,41424,49616 popped up.

Below.. I don't think FCC will split freqs down to 1/10 thousands .0625 mark for public service...Kind of splitting hairs..Once you get down to that range'doesn't make much difference anyway but I could be wrong. 800 Public service bands not my best...Maybe Public Service UHF guys here can add more to this discussion.

BTW is there a way to get my Pro-96 to search 700 band via 6.25? Doesn't seem to be an option for that even in Win 96.

Last edited:
I thought the 700 MHz frequency step was 6.25 KHz?

P.S. the 773.3062 is actually 773.30625, my scanner shows only 6 digits.

Last edited:
BTW is there a way to get my Pro-96 to search 700 band via 6.25? Doesn't seem to be an option for that even in Win 96.
After consulting the pro-96 wiki, it would appear that it does support 6.25 KHz spacing, but someone who knows how to operate that scanner would have to help you, I only have a Uniden.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While the owner's manual explicitly states the low end of 800 (806 mhz, actually) is the lowest the scanner will go, I suspect all of you that are fooling around in the 700 mhz band would be out of range as far as the scanner is concerned. You could use the expansion trick to open it up, but I highly doubt you could rely on the sensitivity in this band. Some units would be OK, others dead as a brick, and nothing is really wrong with it.

Time to upgrade...best regards..Mike

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Question for anybody who'd know. I'm confused by something: I searched for those three frequencies in the FCC ULS and came up blank. How is it that the State is operating 3 control channel frequencies on this system without associated FCC licenses? Is that just an allowance the FCC extends for testing and evaluation periods?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Trying the FCC database search tonight and it is screwed up.Keep getting errors.
click on callsigns and get error messages on experimental 700.
Using old FCC site got this from Delaware 700-799
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3333084&__newWindow=false

Maryland 700-799 shows this..Nothing for Cecil County..Maryland link below takes a minute to load so be patient..
Not surprising as FAA is just as bad for aircraft reg's as well.. Your Fed/State Govt at work or not working..LOL

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...ortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4

Last edited:

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Question for anybody who'd know. I'm confused by something: I searched for those three frequencies in the FCC ULS and came up blank. How is it that the State is operating 3 control channel frequencies on this system without associated FCC licenses? Is that just an allowance the FCC extends for testing and evaluation periods?

Some 700MHz licenses are covered under " SL - Public Safety 700 MHZ Band-State License", WPTZ805 is the callsign for such license for state of Maryland. These licenses only require coordination via RPC (Regional Planning Commitee) among the neighboring states/jurisdictions.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Ah, and that makes a lot of sense since FiRST is a 700 system implemented by the State. Very cool.

I received site 102 with cc 773.8312 on my way down to the Andrews AFB airshow. I think I may have been in harford county when I received it. Time to do some more searching...