Maryland I95 Corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdascenz

Premium Subscriber
I notice that the maryland State Police Patrol for the I95 corridor from Delaware sate line to DC beltway no longer come over my VHF radio. Did they move? Change bands. The regional I95 UHF patrol around Baltimore seems to be silent as well. Any ideas or data? Thank you.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
They are on the F.I.R.S.T system.. Marylands statewide P25 Phase II trunked system

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not everyone has changed over quite yet. There are a few that are also on their respective county's trunk system, such as Anne Arundel (used by the Glen Burnie barrack) and Howard (Jessup barracks). I haven't had my scanner with me much since I got a new car, and haven't been able to put in yet...Neither PG county nor Howard have been reported...yet

Go about 1/2 way down this page and you'll see the ones that have allocated talkgroups on a trunk system

Maryland State Police

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I kinda have my doubts that everyone has changed over, frankly. I've seen several GB and one or two Jessup barracks cars in the last few weeks, and they still look like rolling porcupines - and nary a 700 Mhz antenna to be seen. They're only slightly bigger than their 800 Mhz cousins, so it's not that hard to spot.

I suspect the mobiles will be keeping their 800 Mhz portables and 39 Mhz radios for some time yet, honestly - the state, I'm sure, can't afford to equip every car with 700 just yet (and we haven't even discussed getting rid of all that other gear in those cars...). I've been wondering whether the activity that's been heard has been patched from the barracks HQ. Anyone know for sure?

Oh by the way - the PSR-800 would be required to hear the PG system, and would cover just about everything to the Delaware line except Cecil county, whose system is unmonitorable.

I ride the DC corridor every day up to Woodlawn...Mike

riveter

Premium Subscriber
ka3... the MdTA, Kent Co, and MSP M are the only current users (though they operate entirely on FIRST now). MSP R, P, F, and D have yet to move. Also, current practice as agencies move appears to be to assign portables first and start ops with those and then begin adding mobiles. MSP will also maintain VHFL mobiles in all currently equipped vehicles until the entire system is online statewide and fully established.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah that makes sense - they can't completely abandon the VHF lo stuff quite yet. The infrastructure would simply be too expensive to drop entirely, especially since FIRST isn't built out yet. And I heard MSP Glen Burnie on the AA trunk a couple of times last night, so they're still there.

cdascenz - MSP isn't nearly as chatty as the folks that use the various trunks. In addition, if you're not using a 6 foot whip, the antenna you're using is a compromise at best. There are no 'repeaters' for all the 39 Mhz operations - it's all basically simplex.

You're probably better off getting an PSR-800 given how the state is moving to FIRST for future compatibility

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.