Mass State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Which system is the MSP using? The P25 Listed under Commonwealth of Mass or the SmartZone Type II listed under Mass State Police?

unleashedff248

Massachusetts DBA
Database Admin
Both. It depends on location. However, in my experience many talkgroups have been linked between the systems. You can clearly hear digital comms over the smartzone system from units in the metro Boston area. I believe the SP is also using the P25 system on the western part of the state (B troop and maybe C). Things you won't hear on the analog system are talkgroups like Boston fire simulcast.

Also the P25 system has limited coverage right now. Metro Boston (Boston proper and then Blue Hills) and out west will be the only areas you can receive this system in. Check the site data in the database. I moved out of the area and can't receive it any more.

*Short answer: for routine scanning of most of the state use the Smartzone system.*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Both. It depends on location. However, in my experience many talkgroups have been linked between the systems. You can clearly hear digital comms over the smartzone system from units in the metro Boston area. I believe the SP is also using the P25 system on the western part of the state (B troop and maybe C). Things you won't hear on the analog system are talkgroups like Boston fire simulcast.

Also the P25 system has limited coverage right now. Metro Boston (Boston proper and then Blue Hills) and out west will be the only areas you can receive this system in. Check the site data in the database. I moved out of the area and can't receive it any more.

*Short answer: for routine scanning of most of the state use the Smartzone system.*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
MSP Troop B (West of Worcester County) and Troop F (Logan Airport) use the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts P25 trunk system. The rest of the state (Troop A, C, D, H) use the SmartZone system.

ecps92

There is still plenty of land covered by the Analog [SmartZone] system, West of Worcester

kind of reminds me of the quote "west coast of Massachusetts" :cool:
MSP Troop B (West of Worcester County) and Troop F (Logan Airport) use the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts P25 trunk system. The rest of the state (Troop A, C, D, H) use the SmartZone system.

Status
Not open for further replies.