HP-2: Mass Storage Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

I know this is a basic question. But I have not done this with the HP2 in a long time.
Yes, I did look at the online manual and yes I did a search on the forum.

When I connect the HP2 to the computer, I do not get an option to connect to Mass Storage Mode.
Is there a specific sequence to follow?

Thanks in advance.

marksmith

You are not getting a valid connection if you are not getting the message. It pops up automatically when you connect to PC. There's no other way to do it that I know of. (Other sequence)

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Hulca

The HP2 is connected to the computer.
I turn it on and it starts loading my favorites list.
Then starts scanning.

No Mass Storage Mode option.

Do batteries matter in utilizing Mass Storage Option?
I always use the HP2 without batteries, the USB is connected to the wall outlet.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
When you turn the scanner on and it says it is loading favorite lists it is loading from the SD card not the computer.

With the scanner on and plugged into the computer open Sentinel and unplug the USB cable and plug it back in you should see the mass storage message.

I never operate mine without the batteries. There are features that will not work without batteries such as replay and recording. It is always plugged into the computer for power when on my desk or to the car outlet in the car. I periododically change the batteries which are charged in an external charger.

Last edited:

marksmith

The HP2 is connected to the computer.
I turn it on and it starts loading my favorites list.
Then starts scanning.

No Mass Storage Mode option.

Do batteries matter in utilizing Mass Storage Option?
I always use the HP2 without batteries, the USB is connected to the wall outlet.
It is not connected via usb to the computer if it dies what you describe. While scanning, if you connect to computer via usb you will get the message.

Running an HP2 without any batteries disables some functions. No reason to do that.

Mark

Hulca

Does windows 10 make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The version of Windows doesn't matter.

I suspect a bad cable or bad port on the computer. Have you tried connecting to a different USB port on the computer?

The cable that is used is a common computer cable. If you have a digital camera, try the cable that came with it and see if that doesn't work.

Hulca

Will try and connect to another laptop and then try a new cable.
Thanks and stay tuned......
Need to figure this out.

Hulca

The usb port works fine with other connections on the computer.
The 436 also updated just fine.

I bought a new cord to try, the new and old cord powers up the HP2 off the usb port.
Also, when I put batteries in the HP2 and turn it on, then connect to the usb, I am prompted to charge the batteries. So, I know the connection and chord are working.

Any other thoughts?
Send HP2 in for repair?

Is there a button to push to force HP2 into Mass Storage Mode?
(Just thought I would ask).

Last edited:

marksmith

I would try another usb cable. I have some that will power the radio but not communicate, and I have some that do neither.

The cable thst came with it has a balun on it. I have a couple dozen usb cables, but only 3-4 will connect to Sentinel for data and firmware updates.

Mark

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are several conductors in the cord, many of which match up to pins on the receptacle on the scanner. Some of these apply to the battery charging process. Others apply to the transfer of data between the scanner and computer.

I suspect that some wear and tear may be at play on the jack for the scanner. Possibly a wire internal to the jack may have come loose. If you are really handy you might try getting a small tool to "pop up" the pins on the jack for the scanner. If you are not comfortable, then a repair trip might be in order.

Hulca

Thank you to all for your advice.
I am going to order another Uniden cord for the HP2.

If it doesn't work, I will send it in for repair. I have a 436 to use while it gets looked at.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If your cable will program the 436 just fine, it should also program the HP2. So the only "different" thing is the HP2, leading me to suspect its the culprit.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought...perhaps you tried this already, but:

Shut the radio off then plug the USB in, then turn on the radio, OR, reboot the computer, plug the USB in, and then turn on the radio.

I remember having that same problem awhile back with my "2," but I really don't remember how I solved it, so I don't think it's a defect in the radio.

But I did solve it........

phask

Premium Subscriber
I can't remember if it's a symptom of this issue or not... but with the HP plugged in and on check the device driver and see what driver it's using.

If it's Uniden xxx something remove it. It should be mass storage only.

I have 3, 1 regularly sees the wrong driver. Seems to happen to some with multiple Unidien devices.

- I really don't think that's it but worth a try -

Hulca

Going to try all your suggestions, thanks!

Why can't the HP2 boot up like the 436. On start up, you can automatically choose either mode, which includes Mass Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.